HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is Savage 220 a great slug gun for deer?
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2022, 02:09 PM
Bocajnala
Super Moderator

Obviously your set up "got it done".

The Savage 212 and 220 are great options. They'll really take slug hunting to the next level. More like carrying a rifle than a slug gun. Although you're still limited by range.

I have a Mossberg 695 that shoots incredibly well 'for a slug'. I can usually keep the holes touching at 100 yards. And have played with it out to 200.

I also use a Mossberg 500 in .20ga with the cantilever barrel. I haven't played with different loads with that one but it'll do 3" at 100 which is good enough for deer.

All of these options are vastly better than the smoothbore, bead sight, rifled slug option of yesteryear where you were trying to hit a paper plate at 50 yards and the bead covered the entire deer at 75.

But honestly I'm partially convinced that those guns were more limited by using a bead sight than anything else. I haven't actually tried this but I wouldn't be surprised if a scoped smoothbore would hold an acceptable group at 75-100 yards. Maybe I'll play with that this summer. See what I can do

-Jake