Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New rifled barrel for 870

Old 11-10-2003, 06:48 PM

Default New rifled barrel for 870

Hi everyone. I just got done sighting in my new rifled barrel Saturday. I have a 12 guage 870 with the 24" Hastings rifled barrel with scope mount. I got it zeroed in about 2" high at 50 yards and then started shooting different slugs. I was shooting the Remington Copper Solids and then the Federal Premier Barnes Sabot slugs. Both are 2 3/4 inch and 1 ounce slugs. The Remingtons were shooting in pretty tight groups, and the Federals were sometimes 8" off at 50 yards. I also noticed that the Federal sabots were breaking up upon leaving the barrel and that the Remingtons remained intact. I had to laugh because when I used to shoot smoothbore slugs, the Federals were the only ones I could group consistently. Anyways, I was just curious what the folks who shoot the rifled barrels were using for slugs and what works best for them.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New rifled barrel for 870

I`m using the Remington Copper Solids in my 870, tried many others but these
have the best accuracy and performance IMO.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:04 PM

Hey fellas,

I just tested out my 870. Hastings Rifled and Bushnell Red Dot today. Here is what I noticed.

I had some good but strange results (strange to me). I had the sight (Bushnell Red Dot) bore sighted and put my target at 50 yds. I was close right away but a little high and right - easily fixed and two shots later I' m right on. At 50 yds I fired the following 2 3/4 inch loads:

Rem Buckhammer 1.25 ounce (ouch)
Win Super X 1 ounce (noticably less recoil)

I was able to get 2-3 inch groups with these loads which made me very happy (bench rest).

After a ceasefire I moved the target to the 100 yard line

Fired the following, each 4x:

Rem Buckhammer 1.25 ounce
Win Super X 1 ounce
Rem Core-lokt 385 gr. (recoil was brutal as was the hit on my wallet)

These were all high 4-5 inches and wide left and right 4-5 inches. I ended up surrounding the six inch targets I was aimed at but not hitting. Still probably a kill on a deer but not what I wanted especially off a bench.

Here is the question - since the 2 50 yard loads seemed right on the money - wouldn' t it stand to reason that they should be low and on line at 100 yds? I can' t compare on the Core Lokt since I didn' t fire it at the 50 yard line. If I am right on at 50 yds - does it make sense to be high at 100.

Should I sight high at 50 with these loads? Any help or advice is appreciated. Overall I am very happy with the performance of my set up at 50yds. I would like to have consistent performance at both distances. This gun will be used for Deer in NJ and NY - not too many shots over 50 yds and probably more shots will occur at under 50

If I had to chose one of these it would be the Rem Buckhammer 1st then the Win

Old 11-12-2003, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

WOW, you must like recoil to practice that much! Ouch! I hunt with a similar set up (no scope for me, just rifle sights). You' re going to have to try different things to see what your gun likes, but I can tell you a couple of things that might help you.. 1) I have found no noticable difference in accuracy and knock-down power between 2 3/4" and 3" shells (I prefer Winchester 1 oz. sabots). I go with the 2 3/4" just to save myself a little recoil pain. 2) I would not suggest you even take your 870 if you anticipate having to take a shot over 50-60 yards. Its capable of doing it with a good degree of accuracy, and plenty of practice, of course, but nothing like a rifle. If you happen to miss the vitals you' ll have to pump in another shell before you can shoot again. So, unless your 870 is your only gun (mine was for years) I' d take a rifle if your hunting an area where you might be temped to shoot more than 60 yards or so. I like to take my 870 when I hunt the really thick stuff where I know my shots are going to be 30-40-50 yards tops.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:56 PM

I' d have to agree on using the rifle, but here in NY they can only be used in the upper half of the state where it' s less populated. So it' s shotgun only (but no buckshot) for us in the Southern zone. I wanted to try those new Core Lokt slugs, but couldn' t find any when I bought all my slugs for sighting in. I went back to the sporting goods store today to buy some more Copper Solids for opening day on Monday, and sure enough they now have the Core Lokts on the shelf. The best part? All Remington ammo is on sale!!!! I paid $5.99/box for my sabots when they cost me $10.99/box a month ago. I' m thinking of picking up the Core Lokts now while they' re on sale and trying them out right after the season and see how they fly. 1900 fps from a shotgun is amazing, and from what you said I bet most of that energy ends up in your shoulder. I shot 19 times sighting my gun in but I wanted to quit after 10. Good luck ya' ll.........
Old 11-12-2003, 05:13 PM

I have a 20 inch fully rifle cantilvered slug barrel on my 870 withi a leupold 1-4X scope on it. I' m shooting Remington CopperSolids, 1 oz, 2 3/4" . took my 140 class 9 point with them last year, hoping to repeat. The lighfields leave way too much plastic fouling from the wad, the remington' s cleaned up good and grouped great. they really kill the wallet, as do all sabot slugs.

slayer
Old 11-12-2003, 06:02 PM

Man those are some great prices on slugs. I am also in a shotgun only area (NJ). I feel pretty good about 50-75 yds. Past that probably not - even if you could see through the heavy woods here.

I fired 20 rounds yesterday in about 1/2 hour. Looks like I got hit with a bat on the front of my shoulder. I think part of the challenge I had at 100 yards, at least the inconsistency left and right was due to the fact that I was taking a pretty hard pounding by then. Gotta love a slug gun. Next time I' m gonna fold up a towel inside my jacket.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:27 PM
Spike

Hey guys, My son feels your pain. We were out sighting in my mossburg 500 after putting a new scope on it. My 16 year old wanted to give it a try so when I got the gun zeroed in, I got him seated at the bench and went over procedure with him. I warned him about eye relief and showed him about where he needed to hold. The instant before he shot , he moved in on the scope and the recoil did the rest.LOL. He made a good shot, but the cost was a goose egg above his eye.Thank God the scope had a rubber eye protecter on it, my old scope did not and my first run in with it left me daized and bleeding from a 3/4" cut above my eye. I shoot lightfield commanders in both of my slug guns. They group 3" at 50 yds. The recoil is pretty tough, but every deer that I have shot has dropped on the spot. Tony
Old 11-12-2003, 06:29 PM

Check out www.hastingsbarrels.com
Make sure your ammo,Remington Copper Solid is the new generation.I have a Hastings with the muzzle brake,& scope.
Hastings recommended Winchester or Federal Sabot ammo.

Joe