Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 870 rifled barrel or not...? >

870 rifled barrel or not...?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

870 rifled barrel or not...?

Old 12-29-2003, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default 870 rifled barrel or not...?

I have an 870 express that I use for waterfowl. I have been thinking about using it to thin out the coyote poulation. Here are my questions. If I want to shoot slugs, do I need a rifled barrel? What does a rifled barrel cost? Can I get accurate shots out to 75 yards without a rifled barrel? What kind of slugs should I buy? Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 870 rifled barrel or not...?

I have an 870 with a Improved Cylinder choke that I use with buckshot and rifled slugs for deer. I just got it recently and have only shot out to 50 yards, with good results. I'll hit the 100 yard range on New Year's Day, but I'm not expecting anything great with my setup.

If you want to make accurate coyote shots at 75-100 yards, getting a rifled barrel and using sabot slugs is probably your best bet. I've heard that using rifled slugs in a fully-rifled barrel is not a good idea, but don't quote me on that. Better ask the resident shotgun gurus to be certain.

Cabela's sells Remington replacement barrels in the $200 and up range, including 20" full-rifled deer barrels. Hope that gets you pointed in the right direction!
Old 12-29-2003, 02:25 PM
bigcountry

If all you plan to use the barrel for is varmits, I suggest getting a .22Magnum Rimfire. You can get the gun for almost the cost of a new barrel and more accurate than the sluggun. You might not retrieve all the animals but your not looking to retrieve them all. You can get a 870 barrel with rifle sights for around 130 dollars. The cantelever models are around 200 dollars.

Old 12-29-2003, 02:54 PM

First of all, I've been using my 870 with rifled barrel / rifled sights for about 5 years with good success on deer. I'm 4/4 with it.

For accuracy, at the 100 yard range, I can hit a 9" paper plate consistently with 3" Winchester Hi-Impact Supreme sabots. The setup kicks like a mule, so "consistently" should be read as "the first couple of shots".

In my opinion, this 870 with rifled pipe is way overkill for `yotes. I have had pass-throughs on all deer I have taken with my gun ranging from broad-side to quartering away shots. A guy that I work with that has actually hunted coyotes swears by OO Buck from his 12 ga out to about 50 yards.

Personally, I would choose a rifle. Decent sabot slugs are about $2/each. I have shot standard "rifled" slugs through the barrel out to 50 yards and they seem to stabilize and hit the point of aim fairly well - almost as well as the sabots. The drawback is that they are less aerodynamic and will drop faster as range increases - so at 100 yards you might be a lot lower than a sabot through the same gun.

For a rifle, I wouldn't go less than a 222 or 223. A 243 would be better (and could double as a deer rifle).
Old 12-30-2003, 08:03 AM
Fork Horn

I have plenty of guns (cabinet is full). I have rifles, but do not wish to carry them as they are not permitted for deer/bear where I usually hunt. I use my bows for deer hunting. But, if it is gun season for deer and I want to go blast a few 'yotes, I want to remain legal. Therefore, I am considering a rifled barrel. I have buckshot, but doubt it's effectiveness. I can't get any consistent pattern past 30-35 yards. I am sure that my 30-06 or 303 would do quite a number of 'yotes, but are a little overpowered and illegal to carry during deer season (when one possesses a tag)....
Thanks for your suggestions and help. Perhaps I will go out with some rifled slugs and try em out....at least scare a few 'yotes or blast a few stumps.
What choke (if any) should I have screwed in?
Old 12-30-2003, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

You can try a rifled choke tube with a sobot slug. If you use rifled slugs, use a cylinder or I/C tube. Cabela's has rifled chokes for your 870 for about $30.00.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Worc. I think I may do that. Any guess as to accurate shooting distance?
Old 12-31-2003, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would say if u are going to shoot out to 75 yards get a rifled barrel. if not the bullet will start to tumble instead of spin the farther away your target is.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

Will it still be accurate to 75 or 100 yards though? I am not worried if it is a couple of inches off...