Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

wow it was a cold morning

Old 11-08-2003, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default wow it was a cold morning

It was frezzeing out this morning. I thought I was dressed well enough. I was dressed in four layers with top one being insulated. How can I keep warm out in the woods?
Old 11-08-2003, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: wow it was a cold morning

How colds was it?I often hunt at -20 and have no problems keeping warm.I start with a layer of polypropylene.Then a layer of polar fleece.Finally a goretex shell to block the wind.Wear a toque on your head and pac boots on your feet preferably with thinsulate liners instead of felt as it is much easier to walk in them.I wear polypropylene glove liners and heavier gloves over them.At -30 I use an insulated goretex parka instead of just the shell and use heavy pac boots and mitts.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:01 PM
nub

stubble, you talking celsious? good advice tho. Layers[:-]

Suck it up 1224. Can' t be that cold in in Indiana. Suppose to be 14 degrees F. without the wind here in the a.m.[] Think I' ll try for 2 hours.[:-]
Old 11-08-2003, 09:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

nub-In this case I was talking celcius.By -30 there is not a lot of difference and by -40 they are both the same.When it gets below -30 in either scale I don' t spend a lot of time sitting around.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

buy those thermacare(walgreens) and wrap ema ll around you...you can even cut them out and put them in your shoes...
Old 11-08-2003, 09:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do what I did, turn the air-conditioner up a little bit. I don' t think ours has quit running all day.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:14 AM

Might try those footwarmers they sell at Wal-Mart. It' s a small package about 2" x 3" or so. You just open the package, shake it up, and it starts producing heat. You' re supposed to put it in your boots to keep your feet warm. They can get hot, around 110 to 160 or so degrees. They last for about 6 hours and costs $2 for a package of 6.

I too went out yesterday, under-dressed. I opened one up and dropped it down my shirt and it warmed me right up

Just make sure you have a layer of clothing between the warmer and your skin. They can burn you if you aren' t careful.

Good thing to have in a pinch and they fit right into your pocket.

Thunder
Old 11-09-2003, 08:56 AM
CPA

Warm hat and mask, gloves with chemical handwarmers inside, warm pac boots. If you keep your head, hands and feet warm you will be fine. It was 10* here yesterday mornng with a 10 mph wind and it was a bit brisk. I sat for 3 1/2 hrs and stayed pretty comfortable. I might have actually broke a sweat if I would have shot the big 8 pt that walked right under my stand but my buck tag is filled already. Great morning to be out cause I like it cold.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:56 AM
Typical Buck

If clothes just don' t work for you, then you might try investing in
a little heater you can bring with you to the blind.

Old 11-09-2003, 10:20 AM

Interesting subject that we all can relate to.The only sure way to keep warm is by artificial heat,that has been mentioned.Summit has a blind that fits on the Viper, and it has pockets to put hand warmers in.
Talk about being comfortable,bring your lunch & stay all day.

Joe