Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Do you mark your sanctuary boundaries? >

Do you mark your sanctuary boundaries?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you mark your sanctuary boundaries?

Old 01-28-2021, 12:27 AM
Spike

Question Do you mark your sanctuary boundaries?

We just completed some larger acres of Spruce plantings last spring that is coming along nicely, some WSG fields that will be up and going this or the next, and tied them all into our existed logged woods that has filled in very nicely with thick growth.

These all flow together and plan on being a sanctuary/no go area for our hunters. Our neighbors are all very respectful with boundaries, so I'm not worried about posting for the "human element".

Curious if you guys post your sanctuaries for the DEER? I.E post them with a strand of wire, or hanging flags, etc. Something to let them know where the boundary of the "safe zone" is ??

I've read that study from back in the day on the red stag and the Berlin Wall, and it all makes sense. As well as doing a little elk hunting in the past on public ground, and watching those elk step about 1 foot over the fence onto private ranches an hour after the bow opener makes me think it might be a valuable tool to have.

Do you do anything? Any merit to this? Is it worth doing on smaller properties?
Old 01-28-2021, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think deer are that smart to see a fence/flag or wire , to mean safety zone
BUT what they will learn is, that certain area's places are safer than others.
its just nature at work
the only reason to add wire or markings IMO< would be for humans to follow
animals will find out on there own what is a safe place and what isn't and use there natural skills to do so!

might be over thinking things here IMO

but like any hunting tool, if doing somethings gives you confidence, have at it,!
Old 01-28-2021, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Poachers are slick, they will eventually figure out where the game is and places with little human traffic. The only way we kept our sanctuaries safe was through regular patrols. usually way late-early morning. Word gets around after a couple of poachers get busted.
The local State lands guys put up signs warning of Rabies in an effort to reduce foot traffic in quiet areas. I've thought maybe some signs 'Danger Lymes disease' might work just as well.
All the game needs is quiet areas with little foot traffic and/or hunting pressure.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don’t. I don’t believe it’s a visual thing, it’s more about scent and pressure.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

Heck, I see these silly signs along the road all the time "Deer Crossing". I figure if they are smart enough to read the signs, they will catch on!
Seriously, No matter how you define the borders, if the critters dont like the land, they dont use it. If they do, they do. Expect it to take potentially years for them to adapt to the change. They undoubtedly have places they already are used to and use. I would be sure to avoid the new planted areas as much as possible while the zone gets established.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:40 PM
Spike

I don't think there is any merit. As mentioned, poachers will find a way.