Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Tips for a Beginner White Tail Hunter >

Tips for a Beginner White Tail Hunter

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tips for a Beginner White Tail Hunter

Old 10-07-2019, 09:17 AM
Spike

Default Tips for a Beginner White Tail Hunter

Hey All,

I'm getting back into deer hunting. However, I'll be hunting in a new state. Haven't been Whitetail hunting in 5 years, and the last time was in North Carolina. I primarily hunted with a Winchester 30/30, and my Old Man set stand locations, had scent equipment/rattles/calls, and everything I needed when I showed up.

I now live in Northeastern Ohio (Would love to hear from people in my area), and will be shooting with a crossbow. I purchased a summit Viper Classic climbing stand, a gambrel, gutting and skinning Knives, clothing, the crossbow with bolts, and have a grunt call.

So, I'm standing in front of a 10 acre property with my stand and a bag of deer corn for the first time.... how would you approach the situation to set yourself up for success?

Sean

Last edited by Seanyboy87; 10-07-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

first off, welcome to the site
second IMO< I'd ditch the corn!
deer get smart and find it and come back at night to eat it! doing you NO good for hunting near or over!

I would scout the land, look for sigh and set up in between a good travel route
10 acres isn't a BIG property, be careful about how you enter and leave it, so not to educate the deer to you being there!

Bait can help some folks, but nothing IMO beats learning your area, what your deer are doing and what there eating and where and how going across your land!
Deer in Ohio should be a much larger deer than your used too
, Ohio holds some awesome bucks and overall good deer, from lots of ag lands !
and last, NOTHING beats logging time in , in the woods, pay attention and learn how to read sign, it will make you a better hunter ANY where you hunt, rather than relying on BAIT to get you game!
Old 10-07-2019, 10:56 AM
Spike

Thank you, and thank you for the advice!
Old 10-07-2019, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Besides grunt tubin'...I like to rattle in bucks an does. A place that has a 3 buck to 1 doe ratio is ideal for rattln'. My hunting zone (Maryland)...is best from October 21 on for rattling, to just before the majority of does come into estrus (November 4, 5 & 6???).

I get a pair of fresh rattln' antlers, and drill a hole near the base of each antler, so I can tie about a 1 foot long heavy string between them, and tie a knot on each end so the string won't slip back through the holes. Then I tie a strong string (parachute cord???) halfway between the 1 foot string, and make it long enough to hang from my tree stand so the antlers will come into contact with the ground.

So I lower the antlers to the ground from my tree stand (the bucks expect a buck fight on the ground and not in a hunter's mounted tree stand) --- Then I shake (up an down) the string from my stand to make that rattln' sound. If the buck comes in but starts to lose interest and walks away...tick the antlers together a little bit with the string. He'll usually stop an possibly give you a quartering away lung shot.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

What mrbb said. I'd also practice a lot with that crossbow and figure out your own range limitations.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:20 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by elkman30
What mrbb said. I'd also practice a lot with that crossbow and figure out your own range limitations.
Thank you!

We have a pretty nice archery range in our parks system. I was just about dead accurate 90 % of the time and had it sighted in after 3-5 bolts.
Has an elevated platform and ground shooting, and multiple targets in ten yard intervals.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:22 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Erno86
Besides grunt tubin'...I like to rattle in bucks an does. A place that has a 3 buck to 1 doe ratio is ideal for rattln'. My hunting zone (Maryland)...is best from October 21 on for rattling, to just before the majority of does come into estrus (November 4, 5 & 6???).

I get a pair of fresh rattln' antlers, and drill a hole near the base of each antler, so I can tie about a 1 foot long heavy string between them, and tie a knot on each end so the string won't slip back through the holes. Then I tie a strong string (parachute cord???) halfway between the 1 foot string, and make it long enough to hang from my tree stand so the antlers will come into contact with the ground.

So I lower the antlers to the ground from my tree stand (the bucks expect a buck fight on the ground and not in a hunter's mounted tree stand) --- Then I shake (up an down) the string from my stand to make that rattln' sound. If the buck comes in but starts to lose interest and walks away...tick the antlers together a little bit with the string. He'll usually stop an possibly give you a quartering away lung shot.
Good to know the head of a buck is good for something other than a shoulder mount!
Old 10-18-2019, 08:35 PM
Spike

Default New hunter

I've honestly never been hunting before. I'm extremely interested in being self sustaining and wanting to practice my natural need to hunt for my own food. I have my safety course certificate that I got when I was living in NY. Can someone walk me through the steps of actually getting my license and getting tags? I dont have a firearm of my own yet, but I am proficient at using them. Could I borrow a family members firearm to use for a hunt? Sorry for all the questions. Thank you in advance for the help.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator

All first-time license buyers must first successfully complete a hunter education course. There is no minimum age requirement to take the hunter education course. At 16 years of age, individuals are required to successfully complete a hunter education course prior to obtaining a hunting license in North Carolina.North Carolina Hunter Education: Regulations & Laws ...

https://www.huntercourse.com › usa › northcarolina › regulations

https://www.ncwildlife.org/Licensing...pping-Licenses

https://www.ncwildlife.org/Licensing...ident-Licenses

Florida Whitetail Experience

Hunting thick cover.

Last edited by hardcastonly; 10-19-2019 at 04:41 AM.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

You have 10 acres to hunt but what is around it. It won't take too long to scout out 10 acres and figure out if the deer are already using it. Is there anything to attract them like a stand of oaks, thick bedding area cover or maybe a stream. I wouldn't ditch the corn that fast if you put some out with a camera you may get an idea of what is in the area. If you are on a spot that has no reason for the deer to go there the corn may be your only option !

I have a spot that I hunt that is 40 acres and there isn't really any reason for the deer to go or stay there. I put out a feeder and now have deer devert to check out the feeder and I am getting pics of bucks now crossing onto the property to check out the does that come to the corn. I don't actually hunt over the corn but the routes that are now being used to access the corn.

Last edited by Timbrhuntr; 10-19-2019 at 07:00 AM.