Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Collari food plot machine

Old 09-01-2019, 06:12 AM
Spike

Default Collari food plot machine

I saw an old post about a collari food plot machine. I’m considering purchasing one. Either it’s a total game changer or the most expensive tiller with the same results as my current tiller. Anyone have one or experience with one. Please contact me 214.755.4846 don’t want to make a mistake.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would call that one expensive item targeted at hunters wallets, and they know many hunters spend far more money than any real farmer ever will!
and why compact tractors got so costly!
and why so many gadgets and gizzmo's exists for hunters to TRY and buy hopping for magical item LOL

not sure HOW many acres of plots your doing, but if a LOT< this is a SLOW going process with a tiller period, and again why real farmers don;t use them to plant commercial crops!
next if your doing smaller plots, HOW Much more time is involve hand broadcasting the seeds?
is it worth all the costs to buy one of these?
if your budget doesn't mind the costs, I am, sure its a NICE Item to have and save a few small steps in the food plot game
But I could never ever justify the costs of one for me
been doing food plots for 30+ yrs, on average 156+ acres of them every yr !
again, not a back tool minus the over priced price tag IMO
have deep pockets, have at it LOL
Old 09-01-2019, 12:42 PM
Spike

The fact that I can eliminate 4-5 steps and have a single pass and leave behind a firm seedbed already planted makes total sense to me. I’m hoping between the money I make selling the other 4 implements, time and diesel and less compaction to the soil that it’s a good decision. Once again looking for someone with experience with these machines. Thanks. Just a bow hunter.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can understand your idea, as this is why many folks go to no till plantings(me included)
but when your doing food plots, and not making money off the plantings(unless a guide service like deal)
its very hard fr the average hunter ti justify the costs of planters like this
even just using a tiller period is a slower going deal than a faster turning disc for most hunters when you compare dollar to dollar, it takes a LOT of yrs to get any savings back from the upfront costs
yes time can be money and or a big part of things
which is why I said, budget might vary and make the items justifiable for some
I have used some like devices in the past, all ion one food plot planters
so I do have actual experience
in places I used them however, things were so rocky, and breaking shear pin's
the down time was NOT worth using them, and saved us NOTHING in production times
a simple disc, roll seed and go, works better for a LOT of Hunters that plant in less than great sites and soils!