Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

field dressed deer sent????

Old 11-04-2003, 01:29 PM

Default field dressed deer sent????

does the sent of a deer you just field dressed affect the deer in that area, and does the sent trail it leaves when you drag it out affect the area.. should you leave that area alone for a while..
Old 11-04-2003, 01:41 PM

Default RE: field dressed deer sent????

I used to think you shouldn' t field dress a deer any where near your stand until last year. I shot a doe and dropped her in her tracks. About a half hour later two more deer came in and got within 10ft of her. They just walked around her and kept on going, never once acted spooked.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:42 PM

I don' t think the scent from dragging a deer out bothers them too much(not an expert by no means), just what i have noticed. I experienced the same thing that Cleetus talked about, I shot a doe early one morning and continued hunting and had 10 more does walk right by her before i got off the stand,the next morning my dad killed an 8 point off the same stand. I' ve never dressed a deer around my stand so I can' t comment on that.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:29 PM

it hasnt affected any of the deer in the area i have hunted.last year my friend shot a nice buck he went down and field dressed it and we drug it up by where we were sitting and not less than a half hour later i dropped another buck about 20 yards from the others gut pile. so i dont believe it has any affect on them
Old 11-04-2003, 11:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I thought you " sent" a field dressed deer somewhere. Scent from a dressed deer imo has not spooked deer or aultured thier movent.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:43 AM

Just be careful that your " field dressing" doesn' t attract predators. Coyotes and such feeding on the entrails could deter deer in the general area...