Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Field Dressed Weights >

Field Dressed Weights

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Field Dressed Weights

Old 02-06-2006, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Field Dressed Weights

Forget the antlers!!!!I was wondering how many of you weigh your deer after the harvest? I weigh my bucks before field dressing them and then after field dressing them, I started doing this back in the late 90's to keep tabs mostly for my own curiosity, I am curious as to what everyones region produces for body weights on mature whitetail bucksthat are3.5 and older. Could you guys give an average range of what your are seeing/harvesting in your home state or county/counties you hunt.

3.5 year old bucks and older here in the Idaho Panhandle that I have weighed range from 170-210 lbs ... dressed (of course later in the season makes a big difference in body weight)

Thanks, any pictures of some hawg bodied buckswould be great too!

Below is a picture of my brothers 190 +lb dressed 03 buck.

Old 02-06-2006, 09:48 AM

Default RE: Field Dressed Weights

What antlers i dont see them i dont weigh my deer i just guess.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:19 AM

Quick question for you shed33. I got my first buck this year it was 181 field dressed (10 point buck), what do you think it was before it was field dressed?
Thanks,
D
Old 02-06-2006, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

we never weigh ours prior to field dressing. An avg rack buck around here is in the 160s. There are always some that dress out over 200 though.

Old 02-06-2006, 10:33 AM

Troy,

Did you get my email I sent earlier? I've been having problems with my PM and email functions......
Old 02-06-2006, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

In the past 10 years I have harvested 6 bucks I beleive to be at least 3.5 yrs old and they all were between 180-205lbs. Most of these deer were taken within a week prior to or after the rut and where "skinny" from all the running. (Indiana)
Old 02-06-2006, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my neck of the woods I will say the average 3.5 year old or older will go 180-210.This is mainly farm land with alot of bush.
Its VERY common to see deer tipping the scales in the 230-240 range dressed and some I have personally seen in the 260 lbs rangebiggest being a 10 point going 302.
My personal best was 198# dressed 13 point.He was very stocky,but short in comparrison to the average deer.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guys, thanks for responding, it really does interest me to see what kinds of bodyweights we have spread across N.A.

DMan- I have weighed a lot of bagged gut piles. I have got between 25 up to 40+ lbs depending on the age and body structure of the deer. Some bucks are real long while others are flat out short and stalky. I bet your buck weighed 210 lbs...factoring in his gut pile and fluids.

Double creek..I havent Joel..not since we pm'd about bears last week. I saw your post over in Bowsite about the Bear hunting..I can see those guys were a big help!!!! LOL

BG and EX...awesome bucks...sounds a lot like here for body sizes. EX you Canadian guys have some whoppers thats for sure. I witnessed that in Canada while hunting in the Bowzone.. My 120 class 2.5 year old 4x4 fooled me... His body was so blocky I thought he was older...

I am very interested to hear from the Midwestern states guys as well..
Thanks..

Old 02-06-2006, 12:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've never weighed any of my own but my best friend from high school and through the years now...(too many years ) weighed a monster bodied buck he took two years ago...field dressed it tipped the scale at 217.....not a normal weight by no means..it filled the bed of his Dakota pickup....one of the largerst bodied deer I've seen here....a good buck weighs similar as you said shed...180-210....
Old 02-06-2006, 12:12 PM

A mature buck around here will typically weigh about 180 lbs. I have taken some that tipped the scales at 230, but most are in that 180 lb range. The biggest ( heaviest)deer I have seen was a hornless buck taken last year by a friend of mine that weighed 265gross lbs.

Quick Reply: Field Dressed Weights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.