Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
.270 vs .30-06 for 400 yard shots? >

.270 vs .30-06 for 400 yard shots?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

.270 vs .30-06 for 400 yard shots?

Old 09-07-2018, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Chadillac
I agree that you should shoot with whichever one you feel more comfortable with. Also, take that advice about getting a big buck only at long distances with a grain of salt. There are a lot of uncontrollable variables including LUCK.
Welcome to the forum! I agree with Chadillac on both of the above statements! First, either cartridge will do the job well at 400 yds. if you can do your part.
Second, I'd take that friendly advice with a VERY LARGE grain of salt!
I had a very good spot, (two deep draws coming to a point, with a creek flowing around the far end. From my back side, I could not see anything and it was a steep uphill climb back to the roadway.) From my well concealed "gun blind," at about 100 yds. I was able to see and kill many good bucks.
When I tried to "bow hunt" the same small knoll between the draws at 30-40 yds. I'd usually get busted from hundreds of yards away, due to the swirling winds in that valley!
I say all that, to say this:
you can have a 400 yd. shooting lane in every direction, and NOT see deer, IF you are not in the RIGHT SPOT or AREA that deer actually USE!
Also, contrary to the popular belief, a feeder WILL NOT "MAGICALLY" PULL DEER INTO A BAD LOCATION!
Good luck! Do your scouting, and watch the WIND!

Last edited by JagMagMan; 09-07-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:04 PM
Spike

Thanks to all for the welcomes.

This particular buddy is around 73. He used to be a pretty serious hunter and is the type of fellow that has run the gamut and has been to Alaska and shot Moose and Grizzly with a .340 Weatherby and then turned around and fallen out of crappy tree stands archery hunting our little deer. Now he is beat up from life and takes it easy and shoots long. He says he is seeing better deer than ever since he gave up going in after then and stayed out of the woods. His favorite baits are does and no pressure.

I will have farm land behind me and will be looking at a special spot on a hillside where the deer seem to always step out of the brushy woods into the open if not harassed.

I might try it next year after practicing with the .270. I will miss being close though. Thanks

Last edited by DaffyDuck77; 09-07-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DaffyDuck77

Thanks, on the very long shots on pigs does the 150 SST hold together or break up?
Generally the base remains intact and the front petals fragment.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

I believe I read years ago that Jack O'Connor shot an elk at over 600 yards using a 270 cal.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

Elmer did it with 44 mag.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

his contention is that his 270 win shoots a great deal flatter past 100 yards or so?

ok, lets deal in facts
deer are generally not very difficult to kill,

most guys I know that use a 270 win load a 150 grain bullet for everything they hunt ,
(works good on deer and elk)
as it can generally provide excellent accuracy ,in a decent rifle as can the 30/06 sprg
the same thing can be said for the 30/06 loaded with 165 grain bullets.(excellent for deer)
both cartridges can be loaded with those bullet weights to provide velocities in the 2800-fps-3000-fps range.
(check load data linked below)
both bullets generally fall close to a .450- .500 ballistic coefficient
yes if you want to you can find different loads and projectiles.
yes there are certainly ways to carefully select combos,
of projectiles and load data to make either the 270 or 30/06 look exceptional,
but in most cases matching a 150 grain 270 to a 165 grain 30/06 will provide very similar trajectory data.

the difference in trajectory as far as I've seen with decent hand loads will provide extremely similar trajectories.
Id strongly suggest sighting in at 3.0-or 3.5" high at 100 yards this provides an excellent trajectory for hunting.
the differences in trajectory, impact energy, penetration, etc. in my experience in watching guys use both rifle calibers, well...
Provided high quality projectiles are used,
any concern over DIFFERENCES in effective results,
are so minor as to be laughable
I've used both rifle calibers on mule deer and white tail deer, I've used the 30/06 and 270 win on elk,
(I've generally used a 150 grain bullet in the 270 win and a 190 or 200 grain in the 30/06 on elk) truthfully I can,t see any really effective difference.
Id also point out that statistically the VAST majority of big game, in this country, are shot at well, under 300 yards, add to that the fact that most hunters can,t consistently place a first shot from a field position, in a 6" circle at 400 yards and a difference of even 2" in drop becomes far less critical.

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/#!/

https://www.speer-ammo.com/bullets/rifle-bullets

https://www.nosler.com/reloading-componenets/30-caliber

https://www.nosler.com/reloading-com...ts/270-caliber

30/06
http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=30-06 Springfield&Weight=165&type=rifle&Order=Powder&Sou rce=

270 win
http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=270 Winchester&Weight=150&type=rifle&Order=Powder&Sour ce=

https://www.hornady.com/team-hornady...alculators/#!/

http://garage.grumpysperformance.com...hting-in.4560/

Last edited by hardcastonly; 09-11-2018 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DaffyDuck77
Thanks to all for the welcomes.

This particular buddy is around 73. He used to be a pretty serious hunter and is the type of fellow that has run the gamut and has been to Alaska and shot Moose and Grizzly with a .340 Weatherby and then turned around and fallen out of crappy tree stands archery hunting our little deer. Now he is beat up from life and takes it easy and shoots long. He says he is seeing better deer than ever since he gave up going in after then and stayed out of the woods. His favorite baits are does and no pressure.

I will have farm land behind me and will be looking at a special spot on a hillside where the deer seem to always step out of the brushy woods into the open if not harassed.

I might try it next year after practicing with the .270. I will miss being close though. Thanks
Try it for a day or 2 with whichever rifle you shoot best. Both have the reach. Then you'll find you either like sitting in a long range stand or you don't. If you have more than 1 tag, maybe shoot one long range and 1 in the woods up close. The challenge of sneaking up on a buck is half the fun.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to suggest maybe try shooting the rifles at 350-450 yards and actually see what rifle performs better at range
been a long time 1,000 yard guy(30+ yrs)
so just claiming "X" caliber is better here is wasted energy if one rifle doesn't shoot well at a distance, all the more so with a load you want to use?

I personally think there are a lot of folks BIG into shooting far, and I am guilty of doing so myself, so NOT bashing, but also, keep in mind at some point, a personal call, its SHOOTING not really hunting IMO
so you have to decide what you prefer, the challenge of the long shot, or the challenge of getting close and hunting an animal!
both calibers are plenty of caliber for 450 yards and less, but learning to shoot far and reading winds is NOT as easy as many want to think it is, small flinches at 100 yards and less might still kill your animal, but might mis or wing one at farther range, or if winds pick up and you miss seeing it, yes with practice you can for sure get good at it, but , back to the rifle, a rifle that shoots better(and NOT always one that shoots good close shoots great afar) far out there would be the one to start with and work on long range skills after you figure out what rifle is the more accurate one would be my suggestion!
Old 09-25-2018, 04:50 PM
Spike

Default .280

It is the best of both worlds...
Old 10-09-2018, 02:31 AM
Spike

i need more practice lol