HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .270 vs .30-06 for 400 yard shots?
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2018, 02:59 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

I am going to suggest maybe try shooting the rifles at 350-450 yards and actually see what rifle performs better at range
been a long time 1,000 yard guy(30+ yrs)
so just claiming "X" caliber is better here is wasted energy if one rifle doesn't shoot well at a distance, all the more so with a load you want to use?

I personally think there are a lot of folks BIG into shooting far, and I am guilty of doing so myself, so NOT bashing, but also, keep in mind at some point, a personal call, its SHOOTING not really hunting IMO
so you have to decide what you prefer, the challenge of the long shot, or the challenge of getting close and hunting an animal!
both calibers are plenty of caliber for 450 yards and less, but learning to shoot far and reading winds is NOT as easy as many want to think it is, small flinches at 100 yards and less might still kill your animal, but might mis or wing one at farther range, or if winds pick up and you miss seeing it, yes with practice you can for sure get good at it, but , back to the rifle, a rifle that shoots better(and NOT always one that shoots good close shoots great afar) far out there would be the one to start with and work on long range skills after you figure out what rifle is the more accurate one would be my suggestion!