HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .270 vs .30-06 for 400 yard shots?
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 07:03 PM
JagMagMan
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Chadillac
I agree that you should shoot with whichever one you feel more comfortable with. Also, take that advice about getting a big buck only at long distances with a grain of salt. There are a lot of uncontrollable variables including LUCK.
Welcome to the forum! I agree with Chadillac on both of the above statements! First, either cartridge will do the job well at 400 yds. if you can do your part.
Second, I'd take that friendly advice with a VERY LARGE grain of salt!
I had a very good spot, (two deep draws coming to a point, with a creek flowing around the far end. From my back side, I could not see anything and it was a steep uphill climb back to the roadway.) From my well concealed "gun blind," at about 100 yds. I was able to see and kill many good bucks.
When I tried to "bow hunt" the same small knoll between the draws at 30-40 yds. I'd usually get busted from hundreds of yards away, due to the swirling winds in that valley!
I say all that, to say this:
you can have a 400 yd. shooting lane in every direction, and NOT see deer, IF you are not in the RIGHT SPOT or AREA that deer actually USE!
Also, contrary to the popular belief, a feeder WILL NOT "MAGICALLY" PULL DEER INTO A BAD LOCATION!
Good luck! Do your scouting, and watch the WIND!

Last edited by JagMagMan; 09-07-2018 at 07:08 PM.