Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Free Range vs. High Fence

Old 09-28-2018, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JagMagMan
First, I'll have to agree with Old Timer, several thousand acres, with NO FEEDERS, Is pretty much Hunting! Most people don't understand, a 40,000 acre ranch is 62.5 square miles! That’s not exactly a “feeder pen!”n ...
I agree with that. Most people will never hunt more than a few thousand acres and keep going back to the same area to hunt. It could take a lifetime to learn 62.5 square miles of hunting area and even then, different bucks would still teach you new tricks.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Timbrhuntr
Oh and that big boy I missed. I guess a high fence would have eased the pain of knowing I blew my only chance on that big wily buck I had followed all week. He was headed to the next county but would have had to stop at the high fence and not just kept going like mine did LOL !
Out of site is out of site.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:06 AM
Spike

My take on this is definitely on the extreme end of the spectrum but I like to have a connection to the animals I take, particularly whitetail bucks. When I look at the deer on my wall, every one of them brings back wild emotions of the chase and many unproductive days spent afield waiting on the opportunity. The cat and mouse game of trying to outsmart the animal is what gives me the biggest rush, when it all comes together its that much more special. I just cannot fathom how one could have this sense of accomplishment and pride in something raised behind high fence and I personally wouldn't even want to hunt whitetail with a guide or over bait. Solving the puzzle of the deer is half the challenge so having a guide to me is essentially someone doing the leg work and solving the puzzle where all I have to do is show up, sit in the assigned spot and wait to pull the trigger. Of course thats just my take.