Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How to hunt around baiters w/o baiting? >

How to hunt around baiters w/o baiting?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How to hunt around baiters w/o baiting?

Old 10-29-2003, 06:46 PM

Default How to hunt around baiters w/o baiting?

Joined a club where baiting is legal and the primary hunting pattern. I have never baited in the past and have decided to forgo baiting this year. Baiting is on an individual basis but determined that I am the only member not baiting. I chose the club due to QDM practices, amount of property and proximity to my home. My deer sightings have been at an all time low so far and was looking for opinions as to how I can hunt this club w/o baiting. Thanks for the feedback....Back40
Old 10-29-2003, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How to hunt around baiters w/o baiting?

Look for natural food sources, water, bedding areas, etc. Natural funnels are a good place as well. Those deer have to move at some point. Identify their routes and setup a stand to intercept them.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

If all the other members are baiting competition is tough and natural food sources may not be top on the deer mind when they think food. I would think it is frowned upon to sit on transition routes to other members bait piles and chances are all roads will lead to a pile of food. Water is an option, as is trying to rattle and call closer to the rut near bedding areas.

When in rome do as the romans, yes bait.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:09 AM
Spike

With bait as with any other food source, the deer are going to have an established pattern. Scouting can determine where they are bedding and then you can figure out the best spot for an ambush. The group I hunt with has several mechanical feeders guarded by stands but I rarely hunt them unless I' m doe hunting. I backtrack until I find a concentration of buck sign (rubs) and set up there.The bucks usually hang up somewhere thick to wait for dark. Tony