Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Aussie hunter moving to Texas

Old 04-20-2017, 12:01 AM
Spike

Default Aussie hunter moving to Texas

G'day everyone, Steve Johnson here. My wife and I will shortly be moving from the Northern Territory in Australia to the States. Hoping that I will be able to continue my passion hunting hog but I am also getting more and more interested in elk/deer. New scenery after all so I would be an idiot not start learning a thing or two about the new land that will be supporting me. If you great people out there know a secret or two about hunting elk/deer in Texas then go ahead and hit me up. I'd appreciate it. Meanwhile I will be reading all these great posts

Steve.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Elk in TX are classified as livestock. Most of them only exist on game ranches. There are a few in west TX that are "free ranging" but they are all on private property and will cost you big $$$ to go after. Better to go to either NM or CO for elk.

Deer hunting in TX is really good but most of the state is privately owned. Big deer equate to big $$$ but you can hunt does for very little or even no cost. I take a couple of does a year. The whole state has a lot of hogs though.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:11 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
Elk in TX are classified as livestock. Most of them only exist on game ranches. There are a few in west TX that are "free ranging" but they are all on private property and will cost you big $$$ to go after. Better to go to either NM or CO for elk.

Deer hunting in TX is really good but most of the state is privately owned. Big deer equate to big $$$ but you can hunt does for very little or even no cost. I take a couple of does a year. The whole state has a lot of hogs though.
Regarding those does you take. ...Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 04-20-2017 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Rules 2, 8 & 12--Warning.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

What in blazes are non-typical does??? I will say your post is a non-typical post, thank goodness.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
What in blazes are non-typical does??? I will say your post is a non-typical post, thank goodness.
I take it you're quoting that "guy" above. I immediately placed him on a certain "list." I seriously doubt he is going to be long for this forum based on his initial couple of posts. I won't waste my time on his crap and I suggest you do likewise.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

For the OP, welcome to the forum.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Texas? For God's sake why? lol

Flag's is right. Everything you might want to hunt in Texas has a price tag on it. Many choose to buy into a hunting lease. People who can't afford that tend to hunt from the road.

If it has to be Texas. There is some really good fishing and traveling again like Flag's said, to Colorado or New Mexico is not a bad idea.

Did you hunt hogs with dogs in the North territories? The dogs here as you may know are a little different. Some of the hog hunters here have connections in Oz, and maybe you could hook up with a hunting crew to get you going once you move here.

Good luck!
Old 04-22-2017, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn
Flag's is right. Everything you might want to hunt in Texas has a price tag on it.
I didn't say that. I clearly said you can hunt does for little or nothing. I shoot a couple of does a year and can take as many hogs as I want and none of it costs me a dime. Big bucks and the exotics can cost quite a bit but I fill the freezer for free.

If you're going to try and quote me at least get it right.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
I didn't say that. I clearly said you can hunt does for little or nothing. I shoot a couple of does a year and can take as many hogs as I want and none of it costs me a dime. Big bucks and the exotics can cost quite a bit but I fill the freezer for free.

If you're going to try and quote me at least get it right.

"Elk in TX are classified as livestock. Most of them only exist on game ranches. There are a few in west TX that are "free ranging" but they are all on private property and will cost you big $$$ to go after. Better to go to either NM or CO for elk.

Deer hunting in TX is really good but most of the state is privately owned. Big deer equate to big $$$ but you can hunt does for very little or even no cost."

par·a·phrase
ˈperəˌfrāz/
verb

verb: paraphrase; 3rd person present: paraphrases; past tense: paraphrased; past participle: paraphrased; gerund or present participle: paraphrasing
  1. 1.
    express the meaning of (the writer or speaker or something written or spoken) using different words, especially to achieve greater clarity.
    "you can either quote or paraphrase literary texts"
Are you trying to run this guy off flags?

Last edited by Mickey Finn; 04-22-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn
"Elk in TX are classified as livestock. Most of them only exist on game ranches. There are a few in west TX that are "free ranging" but they are all on private property and will cost you big $$$ to go after. Better to go to either NM or CO for elk.

Deer hunting in TX is really good but most of the state is privately owned. Big deer equate to big $$$ but you can hunt does for very little or even no cost."

par·a·phrase
ˈperəˌfrāz/
verb

verb: paraphrase; 3rd person present: paraphrases; past tense: paraphrased; past participle: paraphrased; gerund or present participle: paraphrasing
  1. 1.
    express the meaning of (the writer or speaker or something written or spoken) using different words, especially to achieve greater clarity.
    "you can either quote or paraphrase literary texts"
Are you trying to run this guy off flags?
Are you trying to be obtuse? You said I told him everything has a cost. Not true since you can get does and hogs pretty much for free. Do elk cost in TX? Yes. Do big bucks cost in TX? Yes. But does and hogs don't. That's my point. Not everything costs to hunt in TX. Most things do but not everything, which is what you said. I clearly told him that there are better places to go after elk besides TX, but they sure ain't in MI. And since he specifically mentioned hogs I also noted that they are just about every where and I can hunt hogs within 3 miles of where I sit right now for free. Can you? Didn't think so.

And then you take childish cheap shots at TX, which is a pretty good state. Want to compare it side by side to MI and see where they stand? My bet is MI comes out behind TX in every category except LIB DEMs and union members in residence. And you qualify as both, don't you?

Last edited by flags; 04-22-2017 at 12:41 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.