Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Aussie hunter moving to Texas

Old 04-22-2017, 02:44 PM
  #11  
Super Moderator
 
CalHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 18,347
Default

OP: Hoping that I will be able to continue my passion hunting hog but I am also getting more and more interested in elk/deer...
If you great people out there know a secret or two about hunting elk/deer in Texas then go ahead and hit me up.
Originally Posted by Mickey Finn
Are you trying to run this guy off flags?
If you reread the OP's beginning post, he asked about hunting elk and deer specifically in Texas and also mentioned that his "passion" is hog hunting.

And if you reread Flags' answer, you would note that Flags gave him specific information in answer to the OP's query about those 3 specific species in Texas. In fact, Flags even advised him on how he could inexpensively hunt does if he was inclined to hunt deer for meat in the freezer. And Flags advised him about 2 nearby states (one is even contiguous) that would have much better elk hunting.


You may see Flags' answer as being pessimistic (your discernment is your prerogative) but Flags gave the OP an honest and informative answer. It's the sort of useful information a hunter would want to help make their best decision.
CalHunter is offline  
Old 04-23-2017, 05:59 AM
  #12  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 9,227
Default

Originally Posted by CalHunter
You may see Flags' answer as being pessimistic (your discernment is your prerogative) but Flags gave the OP an honest and informative answer. It's the sort of useful information a hunter would want to help make their best decision.
Cal, that's just Mickey being Mickey. He has a long history on these forums of spouting off at posts I make. I just consider the source, which I have no respect for, and move on.

To the OP, if you get to TX, shoot me a PM and I'll help you out. Funny you didn't see Mickey offering to help the guy did you? But then Mickey doesn't quite understand southern hospitality.
flags is offline  
Old 04-23-2017, 09:24 AM
  #13  
Nontypical Buck
 
Mickey Finn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,952
Default

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn
Texas? For God's sake why? lol

Flag's is right. Everything you might want to hunt in Texas has a price tag on it. Many choose to buy into a hunting lease. People who can't afford that tend to hunt from the road.

If it has to be Texas. There is some really good fishing and traveling again like Flag's said, to Colorado or New Mexico is not a bad idea.

Did you hunt hogs with dogs in the North territories? The dogs here as you may know are a little different. Some of the hog hunters here have connections in Oz, and maybe you could hook up with a hunting crew to get you going once you move here.


Good luck!
I still fail to see how this post caused so much turmoil.
Mickey Finn is offline  
Old 04-23-2017, 01:53 PM
  #14  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 8,019
Default

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn
I still fail to see how this post caused so much turmoil.
Maybe you should reread what you posted and what Cal posted because it was exactly as he stated. Comments you made were incorrect just as flags and Cal stated. Add turkeys, bobcats, and coyotes to hogs and doe deer since I've also hunted them for free down in south Texas!
Topgun 3006 is offline  
Old 04-23-2017, 02:30 PM
  #15  
Nontypical Buck
 
Mickey Finn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,952
Default

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Maybe you should reread what you posted and what Cal posted because it was exactly as he stated. Comments you made were incorrect just as flags and Cal stated. Add turkeys, bobcats, and coyotes to hogs and doe deer since I've also hunted them for free down in south Texas!
So you say.
Mickey Finn is offline  
Old 04-23-2017, 03:34 PM
  #16  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southeast Missouri
Posts: 2,178
Default

Welcome to the Good Old USA....and Texas,hope You meet up with Flags and enjoy Your visit enough that You stay!
GTOHunter is offline  
Old 04-23-2017, 03:49 PM
  #17  
Super Moderator
 
CalHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 18,347
Default

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn
I still fail to see how this post caused so much turmoil.
It was your 2nd post but you already knew that since you're the one who posted it. And in case that was difficult to discern, I even quoted the end of your 2nd post to respond to. Expressing confusion based on the wrong post doesn't advance your argument or position very much. But then, you already knew that as well.
CalHunter is offline  
Old 04-23-2017, 04:10 PM
  #18  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 8,019
Default

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn
So you say.
Yes I say and I don't care to be called a liar, which it sounds like that comment was meant to mean!
Topgun 3006 is offline  
Old 04-23-2017, 06:32 PM
  #19  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 9,227
Default

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn
I still fail to see how this post caused so much turmoil.
....Edited by Champlain Islander...

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 04-24-2017 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Personal attack
flags is offline  
Old 04-23-2017, 08:03 PM
  #20  
Nontypical Buck
 
Mickey Finn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,952
Default

Originally Posted by CalHunter
It was your 2nd post but you already knew that since you're the one who posted it. And in case that was difficult to discern, I even quoted the end of your 2nd post to respond to. Expressing confusion based on the wrong post doesn't advance your argument or position very much. But then, you already knew that as well.
...Edited by Champlain Islander...

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 04-24-2017 at 03:13 AM. Reason: baiting
Mickey Finn is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.