Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Aussie hunter moving to Texas

Old 04-23-2017, 11:16 PM
  #21  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Northern Territory Australia soon to be Texas
Posts: 11
Default

Originally Posted by flags
Elk in TX are classified as livestock. Most of them only exist on game ranches. There are a few in west TX that are "free ranging" but they are all on private property and will cost you big $$$ to go after. Better to go to either NM or CO for elk.

Deer hunting in TX is really good but most of the state is privately owned. Big deer equate to big $$$ but you can hunt does for very little or even no cost. I take a couple of does a year. The whole state has a lot of hogs though.
Thank you for your informative response. I will definitely look into elk in both CO and NM and check out the options. I think does would make a good place to start for me anyway. Been hunting hog my whole life like my father. Have not had any real experience with hunting and tracking larger beast. Exciting times. Can't wait to get over there
SteveJohnson1 is offline  
Old 04-23-2017, 11:30 PM
  #22  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Northern Territory Australia soon to be Texas
Posts: 11
Default

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn
Texas? For God's sake why? lol

Flag's is right. Everything you might want to hunt in Texas has a price tag on it. Many choose to buy into a hunting lease. People who can't afford that tend to hunt from the road.

If it has to be Texas. There is some really good fishing and traveling again like Flag's said, to Colorado or New Mexico is not a bad idea.

Did you hunt hogs with dogs in the North territories? The dogs here as you may know are a little different. Some of the hog hunters here have connections in Oz, and maybe you could hook up with a hunting crew to get you going once you move here.


Good luck!
Hey mate, thanks for all the information. The reason for Texas is family ties.

It would be great to meet the hog hunting guys on here if you could point me in their direction! I would also never say no to a fishing trip . Pulled some pretty solid barramundi in my time.

In regards to hunting with dogs my family made the decision to go without. There are obvious advantages of taking out the doggies but there are a few reasons why we don't. For one, there is a heap of deadly snakes where I live which can put down a large dog easily. Secondly, the hunting that I enjoy is the feeling of doing it on my own.. using my own instincts you know? And thirdly, I would rather not put the hog through the mental anguish before killing it that dogs subject them to. It can get pretty messy.

Cheers.
SteveJohnson1 is offline  
Old 04-24-2017, 03:15 AM
  #23  
Dominant Buck
 
Champlain Islander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: On an Island in Vermont
Posts: 22,255
Default

Good luck SteveJohnson1 on the move and welcome to the site.
Champlain Islander is offline  
Old 04-24-2017, 06:54 AM
  #24  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 8,019
Default

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Good luck SteveJohnson1 on the move and welcome to the site.
Ditto that CI!!!
Topgun 3006 is offline  
Old 04-24-2017, 10:19 AM
  #25  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 8,019
Default

Originally Posted by SteveJohnson1
Hey mate, thanks for all the information. The reason for Texas is family ties.

It would be great to meet the hog hunting guys on here if you could point me in their direction! I would also never say no to a fishing trip . Pulled some pretty solid barramundi in my time.

In regards to hunting with dogs my family made the decision to go without. There are obvious advantages of taking out the doggies but there are a few reasons why we don't. For one, there is a heap of deadly snakes where I live which can put down a large dog easily. Secondly, the hunting that I enjoy is the feeling of doing it on my own.. using my own instincts you know? And thirdly, I would rather not put the hog through the mental anguish before killing it that dogs subject them to. It can get pretty messy.

Cheers.
Scroll down and take a look at the Hogs & Exotics Forum! There are some neat videos of night hunting on it.
Topgun 3006 is offline  
Old 04-24-2017, 10:35 AM
  #26  
Super Moderator
 
CalHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 18,352
Default

If you do a web search, Jim Shockey and others are even hunting hogs with air guns.
CalHunter is offline  
Old 04-24-2017, 01:51 PM
  #27  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 9,227
Default

Originally Posted by CalHunter
If you do a web search, Jim Shockey and others are even hunting hogs with air guns.
Nothing new there. In Europe they have been taking big game with airguns for a long time and have even used them as military arms. As a matter of fact the Lewis and Clark expedition took an air rifle along with them because they had no idea what kind of resources they would find to replace flints, black powder etc... One of those little tidbits of history that has gotten lost along the way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_air_rifle
flags is offline  
Old 04-24-2017, 03:22 PM
  #28  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 8,019
Default

Very interesting flags!
Topgun 3006 is offline  
Old 04-25-2017, 03:42 AM
  #29  
Dominant Buck
 
Champlain Islander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: On an Island in Vermont
Posts: 22,255
Default

I guess the technology has grown from my 1960's Daisy Eagle BB gun.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 04-25-2017 at 03:49 AM.
Champlain Islander is offline  
Old 04-25-2017, 04:55 AM
  #30  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 9,227
Default

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
I guess the technology has grown from my 1960's Daisy Eagle BB gun.
Actually air rifle technology has advanced way before your 1960's Daisy. Take a look at the article I linked. In the 1700s they had air rifles capable of killing men and big game. The problem they faced was making consistently airtight reservoirs for the air. Remember they didn't have high strength plastics and epoxies back then. The fact they could make them at all is pretty impressive, at least to me.
flags is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.