Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer drives

Old 01-23-2017, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
That is not what I said at all.

I think what I said is very much on topic. I think you are just mad because I made a good point.

Your high lighted comment is laughable. If you think I'm mad, you're thoroughly confused.
Now back to the topic, deer drives, moving deer and now, effectiveness of buckshot on deer-not 'yotes- at extended ranges.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Flags is right wanton waste is a serious offense almost everywhere.
Right, of course.

I didn't advocate wanton waste at all. I just pointed out that I think its interesting that a lot of people pick and choose which animals deserve more respect than others.

Just an observation.

The only animal I waste are coyotes and even then I only waste the sick and mangy ones but I will take more questionable shots at coyotes than deer and I certainly don't put the effort into tracking a hit coyote that I do a deer.

Oh and crow also.....every once in awhile I shoot a crow.

I don't really waterfowl hunt but even on tv you see hunters regularly just start shooting with total disregard to whether they will get a quick kill shot or not. I like duck though so people are usually more than happy to bring them to me.

Like I said I'm not judging anybody......just an interesting observation.

Ive got some farmer buddies that look at deer about the same way I look at mice in my house. They drive deer not because they love to hunt but because the deer cost them thousands of dollars a year and like a mouse in my pantry they want them dead.

perspective is my point.

Last edited by rockport; 01-23-2017 at 06:09 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like Rock, I have seen many "hunters" that have less respect for certain animals than others. I probably have been guilty of the same when it comes to yotes and hogs. Yet even with yotes and hogs, I do my dead level best to make the best shot possible for a clean quick kill. I practice as often as possible for running and long distance shots. I use the absolute best equipment available to me. And I do my best to stay within my abilities. I try to respect ALL life, even those of invasive and destructive species, and in that respect I do my utmost to deliver a quick and as humane as possible kill.

Woodenb14, respect for life and respect for the NEED to take that life in the most efficient and painless way possible is what it's about. Hunters need to take that respect to heart when going after ANY wildlife. There isn't much on this planet that angers me more than when I hear some idiot say "oh well, crows gotta eat too" when they look for a downed animal for a short time and are too damn lazy to do a full and complete search. That is 100% disrespect. There are times I will let a hog lay where I dropped it but it's for other reasons that laziness. That dead hog will many times attract a whole sounder in later that night or the next day and that is what we want! More hogs in to take off the property. Even with pest animals like Groundhogs and P-Dogs I do my utmost to be 100% accurate out of respect for life. I don't like it when ANY animal suffers and I do my dead level best not to be one to cause that suffering.

We are predators by nature. Each and every one of us. It's in our DNA. As is cruelty like every other predator on this planet. What is supposedly different between us and the other predators on this planet is out ability to think and feel about the animals we take. A python has no care about the suffering it is causing an animal by slowly suffocating it to death. We are SUPPOSED to have that care. Some don't. That is the sad part.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by woodenb14
Flags can u back up ur ealrier statement about "even more are wounded than killed" with some figures? I would appreciate that. Also, you should be reporting all those ppl wounding animals if you are aware of them.
Nope, just basing it on actual field experience. But then you can also go on youtube and see lots of yahoos tossing buckshot at fleeing deer and proudly yelling "winged that one!" As to wounding, show me a state law anywhere that shows that to be illegal. Unethical yes, illegal no. Can you do that? But purposefully wasting game after it has been harvested is a violation in every state isn't it?

So exactly what is your point again?
Old 01-23-2017, 07:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good job addressing respect for the animals we hunt Super! It is a shame that they aren't any more than a target to some folks.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep; good job sh54 and I hope he takes what you mentioned to heart!
Old 01-23-2017, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Like Rock, I have seen many "hunters" that have less respect for certain animals than others. I probably have been guilty of the same when it comes to yotes and hogs. Yet even with yotes and hogs, I do my dead level best to make the best shot possible for a clean quick kill. I practice as often as possible for running and long distance shots. I use the absolute best equipment available to me. And I do my best to stay within my abilities. I try to respect ALL life, even those of invasive and destructive species, and in that respect I do my utmost to deliver a quick and as humane as possible kill.
Of course I also want a good quick clean kill, but I would just be lying if I said I don't take shots at yotes I wouldn't even consider on a deer and I'd also be lying if I said I put as much effort into recovering a yote as I do a deer. I shoot the yotes because they eat a lot of animals I want to eat myself so in return I have a hard time looking down my nose at those that do the same with deer that are eating thousands of dollars worth of corn and beans they grow to support their families even though I personally don't agree with it.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:12 PM
Spike

I grew up doing drives as well as stalk hunting and stand/blind hunting, I have shot more stalk hunting than I have on drives and prefer that to drives but like stated a couple times in here drives to me is just a good group of guys hunting together and having a good time. Not so much productive, but more of a thing you do with your buddies towards the end of season.