Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer drives

Old 01-22-2017, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

We stand hunt primarily, still hunt also. But we also do slow push drives every year. None of our guys ever shoot at running deer. The way we do it, 90% of the time the deer come trotting along and often stop. Not much different than if on a stand. We kill a good amount that way. If the deer is running, than its no different than if I'm in a stand and the deer comes running by... I have no shot, unless it stops where I have a good shot.

Hunters are funny... some are so very judgemental about others ways, weapons, etc. We're all on the same team regardless of how we choose to hunt. Whether someone prefers to still hunt, stand hunt, dog hunt, drive hunt... or use a compound, recurve, or crossbow... or Rifle, shotgun, handgun, muzzleloader... etc
I'm fine with it as long as its fair chase and they act responsibly.

Now high fence hunts, to me...that is a different story.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
You fellows would go crazy if you moved to a dog hunting area, where they used shotguns and buckshot, but a ton of deer are killed that way
And even more are wounded and get away. I lived in VA where they do a lot of dog hunting and a lot of those fools have no problem shooting at fleeing deer at ranges of 100 yards or more. When you talk to them about poor shots like that they say "you never know when a pellet will get through" so they feel justified in just banging away. I took several deer in VA that carried buckshot that didn't get to the vitals.

I did a lot of buckshot hunting in VA on military bases and it is worthless at anything over 40-45 yards but dog hunters, in my personal experience, don't care and they happily toss 4 or 5 rounds down range at fleeing deer and many of those deer that are hit are not recovered. I've personally found the carcasses rotting away with buckshot wounds in the guts.

Just because something is a tradition does not mean that all those that participate do so in an ethical manner. I used to hunt Cavalier WMA area in VA which specifically prohibits dog hunting. It sits right on the NC line and a bunch of yahoos from a dog hunting club in NC used to drive up to the state line and turn their dogs loose knowing they would go into the WMA. Anyone hunting the WMA could not shoot a deer if dogs ran it but those clowns would stay 10 ft into NC and blaze away at them when the dogs ran them across the state line. Since the hunters and the dogs were from NC and the hunters never actually set foot in VA the warden was powerless because in VA it is illegal to shoot a deer dog no matter what state it begins the chase in.

Sorry but the experience soured me forever on running deer with dogs.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
We stand hunt primarily, still hunt also. But we also do slow push drives every year. None of our guys ever shoot at running deer. The way we do it, 90% of the time the deer come trotting along and often stop. Not much different than if on a stand. We kill a good amount that way. If the deer is running, than its no different than if I'm in a stand and the deer comes running by... I have no shot, unless it stops where I have a good shot.

Hunters are funny... some are so very judgemental about others ways, weapons, etc. We're all on the same team regardless of how we choose to hunt. Whether someone prefers to still hunt, stand hunt, dog hunt, drive hunt... or use a compound, recurve, or crossbow... or Rifle, shotgun, handgun, muzzleloader... etc
I'm fine with it as long as its fair chase and they act responsibly.

Now high fence hunts, to me...that is a different story.
Well thats the thing......we all think we should be less judgemental.....unless we think "that is a different story"
Old 01-22-2017, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
And even more are wounded and get away. I lived in VA where they do a lot of dog hunting and a lot of those fools have no problem shooting at fleeing deer at ranges of 100 yards or more. When you talk to them about poor shots like that they say "you never know when a pellet will get through" so they feel justified in just banging away. I took several deer in VA that carried buckshot that didn't get to the vitals.

I did a lot of buckshot hunting in VA on military bases and it is worthless at anything over 40-45 yards but dog hunters, in my personal experience, don't care and they happily toss 4 or 5 rounds down range at fleeing deer and many of those deer that are hit are not recovered. I've personally found the carcasses rotting away with buckshot wounds in the guts.
I encountered a particular club member decades ago and his group had recently ran dogs through. I was inquiring with him how far he was willing to shoot at running deer. He was adamant that 70 to 100 yard shots were acceptable. Also, if the deer was wounded, another in his group would likely get the chance to finish it, so why not shoot?. Various hunters have told me of using buckshot at those extended ranges.
I couldn't agree w/you more on the 40-45 yd. maximum. People that shoot beyond that are a sad testament.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 01-22-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

In regards to "respecting the animal", I've never understood that. I hope I never command enough respect to get shot.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Game Stalker
I encountered a particular club member decades ago and his group had recently ran dogs through. I was inquiring with him how far he was willing to shoot at running deer. He was adamant that 70 to 100 yard shots were acceptable. Also, if the deer was wounded, another in his group would likely get the chance to finish it, so why not shoot?. Various hunters have told me of using buckshot at those extended ranges.
I couldn't agree w/you more on the 40-45 yd. maximum. People that shoot beyond that are a sad testament.
What about people that shoot running coyotes at 70 yards? sad testament?
Old 01-22-2017, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rockport
What about people that shoot running coyotes at 70 yards? sad testament?
Exactly right. Never heard anyone upset or offended about tactics used to kill coyotes. Not sure what the difference is with deer, but there seems to be one.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by woodenb14
In regards to "respecting the animal", I've never understood that. I hope I never command enough respect to get shot.
Stick around and you may learn what it means if you hunt long enough, but from your final statement I have my doubts!
Old 01-22-2017, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

This is kind of a quagmire, if you think about it. Some people are adamant about not shooting at running or moving animals, not shooting too far away from animals when you don't reasonably expect to hit them or anything else that isn't deemed sporting or fair. There's nothing wrong with that but where does that "self imposed rule"apply for wing shooting birds, rabbits on the run, etc.?

Most hunters would say limit yourself to taking shots where you have a reasonably high probability of killing the animal quickly and humanely. For some people, that might mean a running shot at closer ranges. For others, it might mean shots beyond 300 yards (it isn't for most) whereas for some people, shooting beyond 50 yards is dangerous for everybody except the animal. In some ways, I kind of think it depends upon the individual hunter.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by woodenb14
Exactly right. Never heard anyone upset or offended about tactics used to kill coyotes. Not sure what the difference is with deer, but there seems to be one.
There certainly is. I'm not criticizing anyone because I'm guilty as well, I just think its interesting.

For example I definitely give deer more consideration than a coyote

If I see a coyote and have a gun I'm prolly gonna shoot at it.

How many hunter shoot ducks and geese and just throw them in a ditch? I don't because I like them but most people don't but I will shoot an old nasty coyote and leave him laying....Ive seen me do it.

Last edited by rockport; 01-22-2017 at 07:40 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.