Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
This is how we raise them in Lancaster Co PA >

This is how we raise them in Lancaster Co PA

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

This is how we raise them in Lancaster Co PA

Old 12-24-2016, 11:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I understand the law, but have never liked it. Nice buck either way. Had the hunter paid the $120 he could have kept it. Oh well.
-Jake
I thought I was trying to decipher the tax code looking for it in the PA hunting regulations.
I think there are some grey areas. It was found in the woods. It was partially decomposed. You can only assume it was hit by a car. It was not found near the road. My reading of the PA hunting regulations only refers to road kill the best I could tell. I think the hunter probably thought he was being ethical by tagging it. I wouldn't have wasted my tag on it. Especially if it was my only one.
I don't know what a fine would have been, but they did just give him a warning.

I guess the same rules would apply if he stumbled on it in the spring when it was nothing but a sun bleached skeleton.

I'm thinking if it was that important for PA, or Lancaster County to have it, they would not let it go for $120, or $10 a point.
I also think not many people would pay $120 for the head of a dead carcass they didn't shoot. I sure wouldn't.
In the end, it was just a waste.

C. Davis

Last edited by C. Davis; 12-25-2016 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:52 AM
Super Moderator

In my opinion it punishes legal people because of a few illegal people. I can't keep a skull I find, because somebody, somewhere, poaches deer and keeps them.

A buddy of mine shot a nice 8 point on the second to last day of the rifle season this year... It was full of puss on it's shoulder and back. So he called the game comission, because they will re issue tags... They told him they would reissue a tag but he had to surrender the entire deer, head included. Because it was the second to last day, and it was the biggest buck he ever shot, he chose to keep it.
-Jake
Old 12-25-2016, 03:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Boca, the law says the entire carcass must be surrendered in order to get a replacement tag. Merry Christmas
Old 12-25-2016, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
In my opinion it punishes legal people because of a few illegal people. I can't keep a skull I find, because somebody, somewhere, poaches deer and keeps them.-Jake
I completely agree
Old 12-25-2016, 04:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by C. Davis
I thought I was trying to decipher the tax code looking for it in the PA hunting regulations.
I think there are some grey areas. It was found in the woods. It was partially decomposed. You can only assume it was hit by a car. It was not found near the road. My reading of the PA hunting regulations only refers to road kill the best I could tell. I think the hunter probably thought he was being ethical by tagging it. I wouldn't have wasted my tag on it. Especially if it was my only one.
I don't know what a fine would have been, but they did just give him a warning.

I guess the same rules would apply if he stumbled on it in the spring when it was nothing but a sun bleached skeleton.

I'm thinking if it was that important for PA, or Lancaster County to have it, they would not let it go for $120, or $10 a point.
I also think not many people would pay $120 for the head of a dead carcass they didn't shoot. I sure wouldn't.
In the end, it was just a waste.

C. Davis
I would ,if it was big enough. I would then clean it up and either euro or shoulder mount it and sell it for 10 times what I paid.
it is still legal to do that in idaho. we haven't got overrun by the unthinking, anti poacher,law passers yet. I put these folks in the same group that would outlaw ALL guns because some fool may go shoot up a school.
Old 12-25-2016, 05:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bocajnala View Post
In my opinion it punishes legal people because of a few illegal people. I can't keep a skull I find, because somebody, somewhere, poaches deer and keeps them.-Jake

Originally Posted by rockport
I completely agree

so do I. there once was a time when folks were punished for what ,THEY DID ,instead of what other MIGHT do.

NOWADAYS WE MUST PASS LAWS protecting ourselves from what we might do .mostly, I think, because we live in a society completely devoid of any morality or ethics and folks can no longer be counted on to know wrong from right . and even if they do, we expect them to PICK , wrong over right.

there is something very wrong ,in the state of denmark!
what a sad and tragic,people we have become.
WHAT A SAD AND TRAGIC ,PEOPLE!
Old 12-25-2016, 05:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

It is also unlawful in PA to sell antlers or any inedible parts of game animals unless it is done within 30 days by the person who legally killed the animal. That rack will make the record book, you can bet your butt a person who found a rack like that would more than likely sell it. PA tries very hard to keep parts of game animals out of commerce and I have absolutely no problem with that. Stop the source of the market and stop the market.
Old 12-25-2016, 06:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by kidoggy
I would ,if it was big enough. I would then clean it up and either euro or shoulder mount it and sell it for 10 times what I paid.
it is still legal to do that in idaho. we haven't got overrun by the unthinking, anti poacher,law passers yet. I put these folks in the same group that would outlaw ALL guns because some fool may go shoot up a school.

You couldn't do that in PA. This is why I compared it to the tax code earlier:

§ 147.146. Sale of inedible wildlife parts.

(a) Wildlife lawfully taken within this Commonwealth that has been mounted, tanned or completely prepared for study or display in accordance with generally accepted taxidermy procedures may be sold if one of the following conditions is met:

(1) The original owner is deceased.

(2) The original owner’s assets are being liquidated.

(3) The original owner’s specimen is determined to be unclaimed as provided for in subsection (b).

(b) A specimen will be considered unclaimed when the following conditions are met:

(1) The specimen was lawfully possessed when originally deposited with the taxidermist.

(2) The specimen was mounted, tanned or completely prepared for study or display in accordance with generally accepted taxidermy procedures.

(3) The taxidermist has made a reasonable effort to contact the original owner or depositor through any means generally available to inform the owner or depositor that the specimen is complete and should be picked up within a certain time period.

(4) The owner, or the original depositor of the specimen, has been notified by certified, first-class mail and has failed to contact the taxidermist within 30 days of receipt of the notice; or the taxidermist is notified by the postal authorities the certified mail is unclaimed or undeliverable. The specimen will be considered unclaimed after 30 days from the date the taxidermist was notified.

(c) Before selling a specimen, a permit shall be obtained from a Commission officer.

(d) An executed copy of the permit application (PGC-12) shall list the items to be sold. The permit is valid for 120 days.

(e) The fee for a permit issued under this section is $5.

(f) The original owner of a specimen may donate the specimen to a wildlife conservation organization, which may then sell the specimen without a permit for fund raising purposes.

(g) Second and subsequent owners of wildlife parts acquired in accordance with section 2312(c)(1) of the act (relating to buying and selling of game) may sell the parts if included as part of a manufactured or finished product.

(h) Second and subsequent owners of deer hides acquired in accordance with section 2312(c)(1) of the act may buy and sell the deer hides. Deer capes may only be sold by the original owner.

(i) A person violating this section shall be subject to the penalties provided in section 2312 of the act.
Authority
The provisions of this § 147.146 issued under the Game and Wildlife Code, 34 Pa.C.S. § § 2102(a) and 2312(c)(2); amended under the Game and Wildlife Code, 34 Pa.C.S. § § 2102(a), 2312(c)(2) and 2901(b).
Source
The provisions of this § 147.146 adopted November 2, 2001, effective November 3, 2001, 31 Pa.B. 6052; amended March 23, 2007, effective March 24, 2007, 37 Pa.B. 1312. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (285093) to (285094).

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/05.../s147.146.html

C. Davis
Old 12-25-2016, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

(f) The original owner of a specimen may donate the specimen to a wildlife conservation organization, which may then sell the specimen without a permit for fund raising purposes.
It's okay for US to make money but not YOU!! Typical of all government agencies. "Do as I say not as I do" mentality.
Old 12-25-2016, 06:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rockport
I completely agree
Originally Posted by C. Davis
You couldn't do that in PA. This is why I compared it to the tax code earlier:

§ 147.146. Sale of inedible wildlife parts.

(a) Wildlife lawfully taken within this Commonwealth that has been mounted, tanned or completely prepared for study or display in accordance with generally accepted taxidermy procedures may be sold if one of the following conditions is met:

(1) The original owner is deceased.

(2) The original owner’s assets are being liquidated.

(3) The original owner’s specimen is determined to be unclaimed as provided for in subsection (b).

(b) A specimen will be considered unclaimed when the following conditions are met:

(1) The specimen was lawfully possessed when originally deposited with the taxidermist.

(2) The specimen was mounted, tanned or completely prepared for study or display in accordance with generally accepted taxidermy procedures.

(3) The taxidermist has made a reasonable effort to contact the original owner or depositor through any means generally available to inform the owner or depositor that the specimen is complete and should be picked up within a certain time period.

(4) The owner, or the original depositor of the specimen, has been notified by certified, first-class mail and has failed to contact the taxidermist within 30 days of receipt of the notice; or the taxidermist is notified by the postal authorities the certified mail is unclaimed or undeliverable. The specimen will be considered unclaimed after 30 days from the date the taxidermist was notified.

(c) Before selling a specimen, a permit shall be obtained from a Commission officer.

(d) An executed copy of the permit application (PGC-12) shall list the items to be sold. The permit is valid for 120 days.

(e) The fee for a permit issued under this section is $5.

(g) Second and subsequent owners of wildlife parts acquired in accordance with section 2312(c)(1) of the act (relating to buying and selling of game) may sell the parts if included as part of a manufactured or finished product.

(h) Second and subsequent owners of deer hides acquired in accordance with section 2312(c)(1) of the act may buy and sell the deer hides. Deer capes may only be sold by the original owner.

(i) A person violating this section shall be subject to the penalties provided in section 2312 of the act.
Authority
The provisions of this § 147.146 issued under the Game and Wildlife Code, 34 Pa.C.S. § § 2102(a) and 2312(c)(2); amended under the Game and Wildlife Code, 34 Pa.C.S. § § 2102(a), 2312(c)(2) and 2901(b).
Source
The provisions of this § 147.146 adopted November 2, 2001, effective November 3, 2001, 31 Pa.B. 6052; amended March 23, 2007, effective March 24, 2007, 37 Pa.B. 1312. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (285093) to (285094).

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/05.../s147.146.html

C. Davis
yes ,I am aware of the laws some states, IMO, have foolishly imposed.
but acknowledge their (the peoples)right to do so.

I am thankful to ,live in a still, semi-rational state. and thankful that such, for the time being ,still exists.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.