Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Finally pulled the trigger

Old 12-07-2016, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Really interesting. Guess it's good you shot him when you did, otherwise he might just be laying dead somewhere now.
-Jake
Old 12-07-2016, 08:50 PM
Fork Horn

Very nice buck sir, very nice, can't imagine how you could let him walk, I couldn't. Nice job
Old 12-07-2016, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Beautiful. Congrats!
Old 12-11-2016, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, looks like no bone damage at all. Lots of infection though. I'm not sure if he would have survived or not. Inside spread is 17 inches...surprised me a little. I guess sometimes being tall make them look narrow.

Last edited by rockport; 12-11-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Rock, an infection that close to the brain would have entered the brain and he would have suffered horribly. You made a good choice for a real nice buck.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Rock, an infection that close to the brain would have entered the brain and he would have suffered horribly. You made a good choice for a real nice buck.
Yeah, I think so too. The infection was pretty bad and very close to his brain in spots. I'm a little surprised it didn't seem to be bothering him at all yet. Tough critters I reckon.

The cockleburs had really taken over a few acres of beans so those beans didn't get harvested and he was able to get all the soy beans he could handle. They were plowing the farm under when I shot him and those beans got plowed under the next day. That would have probably put the hurt on him.