Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Finally pulled the trigger

Old 12-06-2016, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like the eye was the least of his worries....good thing I went ahead and shot him

Old 12-06-2016, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Is that a hole completely through the top of the skull where it's blue? It looks like a tine went in his eye and up through the skull with a lot of pressure in a fight during the rut. I don't know if he would have survived the injury, but I've seen pictures of bull elk with a tine broken off in their head and they were alive the following season with a full set of horns raring to go at it again!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-06-2016 at 09:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-06-2016, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Is that a hole completely through the top of the skull where it's blue? It looks like a tine went in his eye and up through the skull with a lot of pressure in a fight during the rut. I don't know if he would have survived the injury, but I've seen pictures of bull elk with a tine broken off in their head and they were alive the following season with a full set of horns raring to go at it again!
I can't quite tell yet but but if I had to guess from what I can see it does look like he had an antler through his eye and broke his skull from the inside.

My guess is they got locked together with the antler in his eye socket and there was a struggle.

Like I said he was doing just fine but there was significant infection and I doubt he would have been doing just fine for much longer.

I don't believe this guy would have survived but you never know.

I thought maybe he had been shot. One of the hunters shot a buck and dropped it and a couple minutes later it just got up and trotted off but I can't find any holes in the hide.

Last edited by rockport; 12-06-2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here's a picture of that bull that was still going strong and shot by a hunter who found this when he was working on the skull. Pretty gross!
Attached Thumbnails Finally pulled the trigger-elk6.jpg  
Old 12-06-2016, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Here's a picture of that bull that was still going strong and shot by a hunter who found this when he was working on the skull. Pretty gross!
Oh yeah, I'm not surprised that one survived. I think mine is to deep towards the center of his head.

Last edited by rockport; 12-06-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow. Interesting for sure. Both of those are some wicked injuries. Rock, I'd say you are right...probably good you got him.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Turns out there is no bone damage.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:05 PM
Banned

he probably just ran across a smokin hot doe that made his eye bug out.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rock,
If you still have that bucks tarsal glands, they might give you the edge to get the bigger one. The glands, a doe decoy with estrus scent, and some tending grunts just might do the trick.

C. Davis
Old 12-07-2016, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by C. Davis
Rock,
If you still have that bucks tarsal glands, they might give you the edge to get the bigger one. The glands, a doe decoy with estrus scent, and some tending grunts just might do the trick.

C. Davis
He has seen about every trick in the book at this point in the season. I think I'm going to wait for the weather to motivate(starve) him into moving in the daylight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.