Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

topo maps for scouting?

Old 12-10-2016, 08:22 AM
Spike

Default topo maps for scouting?

ive scouted hard and aint been able to find any spots that deer use frequently. can anyone on here give me some pointers based on a topo map? maybe point out some possible funnels, benches, saddles, etc.

<iframe width="100%" height="500px" src="https://caltopo.com/m/HSTF"></iframe>
Old 12-10-2016, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Two spots jump out at me: notice just to the northwest of the word "bench" is the head of a draw with a creek running down it to a valley. I'd expect deer to run up and down the draw and use the bench to fan out along the mountain. It would be good to know if there is a food source at the bottom.

Note also that the Southwest facing slope is getting towards the end of a ridge running basically NW/SE.

I could see a deer coming up the draw and bedding on the slope. It should be warmer from the sun. Also he could keep going and veer off traveling the bench. Another option is that he gets on the ridge and run southeast on it till he crosses over the crest and then takes the draw that begins just north of the word "abandoned" on your map.

Those two draws and that ridge look to me to be a potential travel route across the mountain. Add to that a bench that bisects it and you might have a point where two very good travel routes intersect.

Methinks a stand right should be placed upwind from there.

Similarly, right where you have the word "rub" is the head of another draw running northwest. It also has a creek.

Benches are always good.

Last edited by Father Forkhorn; 12-10-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:17 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by gabreal
ive scouted hard and aint been able to find any spots that deer use frequently. can anyone on here give me some pointers based on a topo map? maybe point out some possible funnels, benches, saddles, etc.

<iframe width="100%" height="500px" src="https://caltopo.com/m/HSTF"></iframe>
Thanks I'll check it out and see. Now that you mention I was hunting the bench and let a buck walk that came from the Ridge you was talking about.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you can locate food sources and bedding areas along those, that would be excellent.

Also, other hunters. It looks like they might push deer up the mountain.