Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Hunting ethics, you make the call! >

Hunting ethics, you make the call!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting ethics, you make the call!

Old 10-23-2003, 04:17 PM

Default Hunting ethics, you make the call!

Had this happen to a friend of mine last Monday morning, he was posted in a drainage ditch, about 40 yards from ridge to ridge, he had been sitting at his spot all morning when someone walked up the drainage and posted just 30 yards away from him, what would you have done? my friend asked the guy to leave, and the other guy responded by saying " this is public land, and I have every right to be here just like you" How would you handle this situation?

Dr. Mike
Old 10-23-2003, 04:42 PM

Default RE: Hunting ethics, you make the call!

If I had spent countless hours searching the area over to find a great spot or hunting a specific deer, I would probably leave and hope I could hunt that spot/animal at a later date. That being said, if another hunter just bounded in, I doubt there was much painstaking time spent in search of " the" spot or animal.

Sooo, I would probably go back to my stand for an hour or so and cough, in a yelling tone ask him if he has seen anything yet, pee off the front of my stand, beat the mud off my boots against the tree[:-], fake some sneezes[8D], break the twigs hanging around me and throw them to the nearest clump of dry leaves and for good measure call his dog a filthy, flea bidden mongrel and curse him as a mutt[]. If that doesn' t pI$$ him off enough to leave, I would leave and find another corner of public land to hunt in cause I don' t want to be around someone that thick headed or inconsiderate[>:]!

But that is just me. I think it is sad that there are people that shameless to invade someone elses area. I mean, I wouldn' t do such not only because I don' t want to be mean, but do you know how hard it is for not just one, but two hunters not to spook an incoming deer? What chances does he think he has of seeing deer. Lazy hunters like that shouldn' t be in the woods, they should be home enjoying a spectator sport!

I' ve ranted enough, I' ll let the next person take over.

Josh
Old 10-23-2003, 04:52 PM

Unfortunatley I would have left. If the other guy could not understand the reasoning for being asked to find another spot or leaving it just would not be worth the time to stay there.

One thing would lead to another. Its a shame that the other hunter would not politly remove thier self from the area.

But, may be ther other guy had his eye on the location as well and was just as surprized to see your friend. Still in this case I would have left the area and found another spot.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

I would start singing at the top of my lungs. Or maybe start taking a loud boom box and when someone pulled that I would put on the most obnoxious rap that I could find.

But since I hunt on a lease I would have him arrested for tresspassing.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it was a new spot for me, I' d leave and look for another spot. If it was an old haunt I hunted over several years, then ...I like pyral' s advice. Sneeze, fart, cough, whatever....If both guys scouted and picked the same spot, the " late comer" losses out. Kinda like a lot of hunting clubs on opening weekend. The early bird (or least hung over) gets the worm. If he was lazy, then make him regret setting up next to you.

If you wanted to be a real bastard, you could always shoot at the ground and yell out to the guy if he saw where the " deer" went.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would strip naked and do a indian dance right past him
Old 10-23-2003, 06:00 PM

I would have just left.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you considered the possibility that this may not actually have been a hunter?
I don' t know what extremes the antis will go to but the possibility exists that this guy was/is an anti just breaking your friends shoes. If he shows up again it might be interesting to find out just how much of a hunter he really is. We know already he certainly isn' t one we would like to know better.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:29 PM
Dominant Buck

This tale reminds me of a public spot that I like to hunt during Firearm season because it doesn' t get too much pressure . Every year another fella and I try to get to the main access point before the other one does . Sometimes he gets there first , and sometimes I do . Whoever gets there first invariably blocks the access road with their vehicle . I never actually saw him , but I could tell when he had been there even when I didn' t see his truck .

One time I got there and saw his truck parked , but this time there was room for two . I entered the woods and walked toward a favorite spot as quietly as possible . As I was approaching the area that I intended to hunt I suddeny caught a glimpse of orange in a tree about 100 yards away , it was my rival . The property is 395 acres of prime woods , but the remaining access points always have more guys in them than I care to hunt with , mostly because they have " bad habits" .

I was faced with an unpalatable choice , keep going and blow his set up , or go somewhere else . At that end of the property the good spots are very limited , and it would be nearly impossible to set up without blowing it for him . I decided to leave the woods and go to another place rather than ruin his hunt , and possibly mine as well . Later , I stopped into a local tavern to reflect on the disappointing day that I' d had having gotten totally skunked .

The bar was nearly deserted since most of the clientel were out hunting , but there was a guy at one of the stools . I took the stool next to him and sat down . I hate to drink alone , and his mug was empty , so I asked if he would like a refill . He said " Sure." As we sat I struck up a conversation about the day that I' d had out in the wooods , and he said that he' d had a pretty good day , and had just come back from checking in a nice 6 pointer .

I asked where he had been hunting and he replied " A little public over in Pilot Knob" . There aren' t many such places there so I asked which one . When he told me I said that I had started to hunt there , but left when I saw a guy up in a tree so that I wouldn' t spoil his hunt . He looked at me with wide eyes and said " Was that you I saw coming in and then leaving?" I said that I didn' t know because I didn' t know where he had been . When he told me where my jaw dropped , it was my " rival" !

He then asked why I had left , and I said " Because you were there first" . I then proceeded to congratulate him on his success that day , and he thanked me for being a good sport about it , and bought the rest of the rounds until he left . I' ve come to think of that day as my feel good hunting story , I could have stayed , but it wouldn' t have felt right .
Old 10-23-2003, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn' t stick around with another hunter near me, regardless if i was their first. Asking a guy like this to carry on is pointless, if he ain' t got the brains to keep moving..well enough said. I would have handled this situation with some TP and tree UPWIND

Quick Reply: Hunting ethics, you make the call!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.