Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Annoying new hunter questions... >

Annoying new hunter questions...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Annoying new hunter questions...

Old 09-21-2016, 12:33 AM
Spike

Another thing that new hunters overlook is having everything needed to take care of a deer after it hits the ground.
Know how you are going to get it out of the woods. Have a sharp knife and saw. Game bags if you plan on skinning it in the woods, so the meat stays clean. Something to put the heart and liver in if you keep them. Know where you are going to hang it, is the weather cool enough for it to be outside or in an unheated shop/garage/shed, or will it need to be in a cooler.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:52 PM
Spike

I don't know about hunter safety courses that's just the government playing nanny.

Instead of that try not doing silly stuff like pointing your gun at people and shooting at noises in the brush. Hell, unload your gun except when your ready to shoot. Pretty rare the average hunter successfully makes a snapshot anyway.

Getting someone to show you how to properly field dress and so on is a good idea.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:56 PM
Spike

PS Invite me along and I'll clean your deer, drive and buy you a beer after your successful hunt. Probably 1000 other guys on this site would do the same. PM me if you're in Texas.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:01 PM
Spike

You have access to property. A legal firearm that youvshoot reasonably well, I presume. Dont worry about camo, just wear your normal greys, greens,blacks and browns jeans and some boots. Sneakers work if it's dry. Go out to the property for a walk. I will assume that you know what deer tracks and poop looks like. If not google it. Walk slowly and quietly through the area and look for sign. When you find sign set down next to a tree or bush and wait for about 30 minutes. Then continue your walk. When you find the area that you can hunt that has the most sign youbwill know where to hunt.
You mentioned some fields in your OP. Search the edges first for trails to start on and pick the. One that is most used. Spread some corn around in a couple of places and aee which one gets hit the hardest. Put corn back as often as it disappears.
Just find a vantage point where you can see your corn from upwind. Wind is the most important factor. Find an area where there is already some deer activity and it will not take them long to find free corn. Deer are democrats.
From there the deer will teach you how to hunt. Just watch them, a deer will wiggle its tail before its lifting its head from feeding so you will be warned when not to move.

Review
1. Find where they normally travel
2. Find vantage point in range upwind
3. Add some bait if legal
4. Sit still
5. Shoot a deer. In the beginning dont worry about hunting monster bucks. Learn to be successful first and enjoy the experience. We dont hunt to kill, we kill to have hunted. Anything else is just a walk in the woods.
Arise,kill,eat.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Superman70
You have access to property. A legal firearm that youvshoot reasonably well, I presume. Dont worry about camo, just wear your normal greys, greens,blacks and browns jeans and some boots. Sneakers work if it's dry. Go out to the property for a walk. I will assume that you know what deer tracks and poop looks like. If not google it. Walk slowly and quietly through the area and look for sign. When you find sign set down next to a tree or bush and wait for about 30 minutes. Then continue your walk. When you find the area that you can hunt that has the most sign youbwill know where to hunt.
You mentioned some fields in your OP. Search the edges first for trails to start on and pick the. One that is most used. Spread some corn around in a couple of places and aee which one gets hit the hardest. Put corn back as often as it disappears.
Just find a vantage point where you can see your corn from upwind. Wind is the most important factor. Find an area where there is already some deer activity and it will not take them long to find free corn. Deer are democrats.
From there the deer will teach you how to hunt. Just watch them, a deer will wiggle its tail before its lifting its head from feeding so you will be warned when not to move.

Review
1. Find where they normally travel
2. Find vantage point in range upwind
3. Add some bait if legal
4. Sit still
5. Shoot a deer. In the beginning dont worry about hunting monster bucks. Learn to be successful first and enjoy the experience. We dont hunt to kill, we kill to have hunted. Anything else is just a walk in the woods.
Arise,kill,eat.
Let's put a stop to this nonsense right here. If you are going to tell a guy what to wear atleast know what you are speaking of in order to, 1. don't get him in trouble, and 2. DON'T GET HIM SHOT!

Marylang has a flourescent orange regulation! http://www.eregulations.com/maryland...hunting-rules/

There are fluorescent orange clothing requirements to hunt deer in Maryland. See Fluorescent Orange Clothing Requirements and Exceptions.

Whenever hunting, both hunters and companions must wear either:

a cap of solid fluorescent orange color worn as an outer garment on the head at all times;
a vest or jacket containing back and front panels of at least 250 square inches of solid fluorescent orange color worn as an outer garment at all times; or
an outer garment of camouflage fluorescent orange worn above the waist which contains at least 50% fluorescent orange color.
an outer garment of camouflage fluorescent orange worn above the waist which contains at least 50% fluorescent orange color.
Persons required to wear fluorescent orange that hunt from a ground blind that has four sides, a top, and is placed 4 feet or less above the ground must display, on or within 25 feet of the blind, a cap of solid fluorescent orange color or a panel, band, strip, or garment containing at least 250 square inches (approximately 16” x 16”) of solid fluorescent orange color.

Be aware that:

Children and spouses of property owners (hunting on the owned property) are required to wear fluorescent orange.
Those who hunt with archery equipment during the Junior Deer Hunting Days, Deer Firearms and Deer Muzzleloader Seasons are required to wear fluorescent orange.
Deer archery hunters hunting in Allegany, Frederick, Garrett, and Washington counties during the open black bear season are required to wear fluorescent orange.
Those exempt from the requirement of wearing fluorescent orange are:

except as noted above, a person who hunts deer during the Deer Archery Season.
property owners who hunt any wildlife on their own property with or without a hunting license.
a person authorized by a Falconry Permit who hunts game birds or mammals using falcons, hawks or owls.
a person who hunts or accompanies, aids, or assists another person hunting the following species:
brant
coot
crow
dove
ducks
furbearing mammals
geese
rails
snipe
wild turkey
Old 09-28-2016, 06:35 AM
Spike

....Edited by Bocajnala..., I figured that the boy was smart enough to follow the game laws. I guess yankees need bright orange in order to not shoot one another. I was simply trying to tell him that camo is a fashion statement and not a true need. Everyone else seemed to want to tell him why no one would give him advice. The tips that I gave him Will kill deer. I use it everytime that I decide to change areas and I always kill deer. With and without corn. Where I live if acorns are on the ground, hogs and coons will be eating your corn and not deer. The majority of the time I sit on the ground or a little three legged folding stool. I have killed deer with everything from a ruger single six to super black hawk hunter, single shot contenders, and 22lr nylon66 to my 300 weatherbys. I typically wear a faded green carhart jacket, faded cinch jeans and a pair of luchesse boots. Headgear is a harley cap of some color or an urban camo boonie from the michigan state police.

Last edited by Bocajnala; 09-28-2016 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Edited. Rule #12 No personal Attacks PM sent. Warning
Old 09-28-2016, 06:39 AM
Spike

Good luck RP. Deer hunting does not have to be hard. Now I know why so many youngsters dont hunt.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:44 AM
Spike

...Edited By Bocajnala....

Last edited by Bocajnala; 09-28-2016 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Rule #12 Warning Sent
Old 09-28-2016, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

So you're going to come here and when someone points out that you are giving dangerous advice you are going to blast out a racial epithet? Seriously? I can't even figure out how calling me that would be applicable for my pointing out the flourescent orange requirement and trying to keep the OP safe....

DEFINITION
Uncle Tom: A black man who will do anything to stay in good standing with "the white man" including betray his own people. You can try to backpedal this too by claiming you don’t know what color I am but you were certainly assuming it was my hand in my avatar. (BTW it’s a white hand).

Last edited by uncle matt; 09-28-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:33 PM
Spike

I can see. The OP had already mentioned that he had taken a hunters safety course. Taking the course had already been mentioned at least half a dozen times. The OP asked for HUNTING ADVICE not the state safety regulations. The advice that I gave him will work for any game in any state. What helpful advice did you give? With tips that I gave him he should have meat in the freezer within 3 days of the opener. If not, I would be disappointed.

...Edited by Bocajnala...

Last edited by Bocajnala; 09-28-2016 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Rule #12 Warning Sent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.