Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buckshot for deer hunting

Old 02-18-2016, 09:28 AM
Spike

Default Buckshot for deer hunting

I came across a 1983 browning auto 5 12ga with a 26" fixed modified choke barrel in good condition a few weeks ago while visiting a local pawn shop at a deal I couldn't pass up. So I took it to the house with all plans on using it this upcoming year for deer hunting with buckshot. Before everyone jumps on the (why don't you use slugs wagon), the area I have to hunt is roughly 100 acres of 15 year old cut-over, so it is dog hair thick. My max shots would be probably in the neck of 45-50yds max. I took it out this morning to try and see what type of patterns it would throw. All shells were
2 3/4" as that is all it is chambered for. The targets were 24x21" in size @ 35yds.
Remington 000 8 pellet
7 pellets on paper 1 off paper
4 pellets in a 10" circle
6 pellets in a 18" circle

Remington 00 9 pellet
All 9 pellets on paper
5 in a 10" circle
8 in a 18" circle

Winchester 00 9 pellet
6 pellets on paper 3 off paper
3 pellets in a 10" circle
All 6 fell into the 18" circle

Federal 00 9 pellet
5 pellets on paper 4 off paper
4 in a 10" circle
5 in a 18" circle

Winchester #1 buckshot 16 pel.
9 pellets on paper 7 off
4 in a 10"circle
8 in a 18" circle

I just wanted to see if anyone else has patterned something similar to this set up and if they were getting better, same or worst results with different buckshot loads. Thanks in advance for any help. And I plan on hunting with this shotgun and not having it as a safe queen.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:42 PM
Spike

I used buckshot this year for the first time with amazing success, or maybe it just sounds amazing due to the slug "bandwagon". I shot one with a mod choke at about 60 yards, and two with full choke at 40 and 60. The only reason I had a mod in was because I was pheasant hunting the day before and forgot to switch it out. Gotta love a gun you can use for anything I would not hesitate to use it in your situation with a mod choke and 00b, all of mine dropped right on the spot!

Edit: Make sure it is legal for your area, I have no idea what your rules are, but in Pa it is illegal in most WMU's

Last edited by JordanE1; 02-18-2016 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Shotguns and buckshot are not the ideal combo for deer hunting! Will it kill deer? Yes, but so will a claw hammer! Buckshot will work good if you don't stretch the range beyond 50 yards or so! The worst thing about buckshot is that it doesn't expand and if the deer is not DRT you can be in for a long, if not impossible tracking job! I have used buckshot a few times in the past, but I will not use it again! I'd rather have a rifle in ANY legal caliber, than to use buckshot again!
Old 02-18-2016, 07:13 PM
Spike

I have killed a couple deer in years past with it in a Remington 11-87 while just out walking thru the woods during deer season. I shot a decent 6 point last year that jumped a creek and stopped about 10 yds from me using the 11-87 with Remington 3" 00. He hit the ground grave yard dead and never knew what hit him. I like shooting the 11-87 but there is no comparison to the way the auto5 shoots.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I used to hunt a bunch of military bases in VA that were buckshot only. It is very effective if you keep the ranges less than 40 yards. think of it as archery distances with a gun. Shoot several brands and see which one groups the tightest in your gun which it seems you have already done. I'd think about going full choke though since you need to smack them with multiple pellets.

This 7 point fell to Win 00 buck.

If you look close you can see where the pellets hit.

Last edited by flags; 02-19-2016 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

I've only shot 4 deer, all of them with cheap "Suprema" 00 buck. Distances from 7ish to 25 yards and they all just fell over dead. It's THICK on the property I hunt and there are no farm crops. Every shot is very close, through small gaps in brush, on walking deer.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Family uses buckshot only when running dogs, very effective and have skinned a few deer and turned out to only find one or two pellets. Try a few loads though as you have, and if not comfortable with results you can always try a few more.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Anybody that says buckshot is no good, probably hasn't seen it used. Keep your ranges close, 40-50 yards max probably, and it's a killer. Would I choose it over a rifle? Nope. But in certain areas with restrictions it works great as long as it's used properly.
-Jake
Old 02-19-2016, 01:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

50 yards is a stretch for buckshot and so is 40 to get any kind of pattern. After 35 yards buckshot really opens up and while you may kill a deer beyond that, the odds are better you would wound it.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Anybody that says buckshot is no good, probably hasn't seen it used. Keep your ranges close, 40-50 yards max probably, and it's a killer. Would I choose it over a rifle? Nope. But in certain areas with restrictions it works great as long as it's used properly.
-Jake
Yep, I have seen it used! As I said, I've used it! If you are disciplined enough to use it as Flags said "bow shot range," it will usually drop them DRT. The further you get from bow shot range the more likely they are to run! Chances of finding one that runs is slim!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.