Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Magnification on a riflescope. >

Magnification on a riflescope.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Magnification on a riflescope.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Bushnell Banner 1.5x4.5x20 that I purchased in '93 on a Mossy 500 and had them bore sight and mount the scope after purchase. At the range, once I was dialed in @ 50 yds. at 1.5x, I moved the target to 100 yds. I made no other adjustment to the scope other than magnification to see what the drop would be w/the 440 gr. slug at 1350 fps. I went to 4.5x and fired again(3 shots).
There was no additional drop for the increased range. This is the equivalent of a POI shift because the slug should have dropped 5.5 inches at the extra range according to ballistics software.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Okay, yes I currently live in Illinois where deer hunting is shotgun/ML only but being older than dirt and hunting all over the country as well as having a large passion for the shooting sports and collecting firearms I do have many many many firearms. Other than my military collectables they all have a use/function and get fired on a regular basis. Now that that useless crap has been typed and out of the way, to the question at hand!

#1) If your firearm has a 12 inch POI shift at 75 yards between focal power shifts then you have a problem. Period, point, plain and simple. Now, the question is, is that problem you or the scope itself? 12" tells me it's more than likely the scope. If you were experiencing this problem at 200+ yards then I would maybe question whether or not you have a "fat" crosshair and you just weren't able to print a fine point on the target and you wandered around it. The older and cheaper scopes a lot of times were made with the crosshair on the second focal point and if you were using mildot then you had to do your drop and windage calculations based on one power because increase/decrease actually magnified/shrunk the mrads so ranging/windage calculations were different. Whole nother topic there, but they would also sometimes experience POI shift at various power levels with those older vari power scopes on the SFP type. Most mid range and above scopes nowadays are based off the first focal plane CH and rarely have this problem.

Your scope, with the Nikoplex ret. has absolutely NOTHING to do with that APP so you were talking to a jerk around BS artist on the phone. Contact customer service, tell them the problem again, and if they try jerking you around again by saying something about some stupid app tell them they are full of crap! Send the scope in for another one. Of course that is AFTER you check your rings and such for torque to make sure when you adjust power you aren't actually physically moving the scope a hair. (happens more than you think).
The Nikon prostaff is a 2nd focal plane scope.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
The Nikon prostaff is a 2nd focal plane scope.
Yep, that's partly why I never recommend the BDC reticle since, like mrads (the dots on a Mil Dot scope), they magnify/shrink with power increase/decrease. but going from 3 to 9 power adjustments it is still only normal for a 3moa shift of POI at 100 yards. 3moa at 100 is fairly insignificant in the scheme of things with medium to large sized game but predator hunting makes that a pretty big deal to overcome. Yote vitals aren't that big of a target to begin with But with his being a Nikoplex reticle and having around 10 MOA shifts from 3-9 is some pretty drastic shifting. Glad Nikon is repairing it for him and not continuing to try to blow smoke up his rear with some stupid APP.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Yep, that's partly why I never recommend the BDC reticle since, like mrads (the dots on a Mil Dot scope), they magnify/shrink with power increase/decrease. but going from 3 to 9 power adjustments it is still only normal for a 3moa shift of POI at 100 yards. 3moa at 100 is fairly insignificant in the scheme of things with medium to large sized game but predator hunting makes that a pretty big deal to overcome. Yote vitals aren't that big of a target to begin with But with his being a Nikoplex reticle and having around 10 MOA shifts from 3-9 is some pretty drastic shifting. Glad Nikon is repairing it for him and not continuing to try to blow smoke up his rear with some stupid APP.
Well yeah.....way drastic and unacceptable. It would be nice if Nikon could explain why this is happening to this particular scope and explain why their customer service doesn't know that the app applies to the BDC circles not the cross hair.

Not that it is exclusive to Nikon by any means like I said I have a Bushnell that does it as well, my Burris scopes even move a little and the scope I was helping with the other day was one of those cheap package deal scopes, also a Bushnell I believe.

I was telling the guy it belonged to he should consider saving up for a higher end scope. This subject is one of the reason I gave him.

He said he had never heard of or seen that problem before....we shot the gun and sure enough the poi changed through the magnification range. He had not shot with different magnification at the same distance before and had no idea it was happening after several years of deer hunting with it.

He (like most of us) shot close range at low magnification and long range at high magnification and assumed bullet drop was changing his POI but it was in fact the scope doing so as well.

Ive seen it with my own eyes to many times to not check every scope before hunting
Old 12-08-2015, 03:32 PM
Dominant Buck

My scoped rifles have mid to upper range quality..Zeisse and Leopold. never noticed any problem with POI at any change of magnification.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
My scoped rifles have mid to upper range quality..Zeisse and Leopold. never noticed any problem with POI at any change of magnification.
No, I suspect that would be very rare.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I only have one Nikon with the BDC reticle (Omega) on my ML barrel for the TC. I never use the "circles". I tried it out on my .22-250 for smacking yotes and while it was fine for me, I wouldn't recommend them for predator/varmint at any serious ranges. I just dialed in my ranges. All my other Nikons have Nikoplex, Precision, and Point Blank. Never experienced much POI shift through the power ranges with them other than the occasional 1 or 2 MOA and that could have been as much my fault as the scopes. (Getting old gives a shooter a good excuse for goofs )
Old 12-08-2015, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Leupold VX-1 SG/MZ scope 2x7x33 has consistently held POI through all power ranges.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

not going there, the drama queen has returned, anyone who wants my opinion, PM me
RR