Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Magnification on a riflescope. >

Magnification on a riflescope.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Magnification on a riflescope.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:47 PM
  #21  
Nontypical Buck
 
rockport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,359
Default

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I love it when someone is wrong and just flat won't admit it. Nobody on this thread other than yourself has come up with what you did because you're flat out WRONG! PS: I'm certainly glad you don't care, but if I were wrong I would!

This forum is so much better when you are not on it.

Try some research and you will find out it is a fact. I have a Bushnell trophy xlt in my safe right now that does it.

If you would care that you are wrong then you should care because you are in fact wrong. I don't care if you shot rifles with Jesus you are still wrong.

Last edited by rockport; 12-07-2015 at 09:58 PM.
rockport is offline  
Old 12-07-2015, 09:55 PM
  #22  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 8,019
Default

Originally Posted by rockport
This forum is so much better when you are not on it.
LOL! Get a grip man and just admit that some people on here know more than you do and have a lot more experience and knowledge on certain things. I'll make you a deal. You go find anything on the net put out by any experienced gun writer that will back your claim up and I'll more than offer you an apology right on this Forum. Short of that, you can go take a hike and quit your BS!
Topgun 3006 is offline  
Old 12-07-2015, 10:11 PM
  #23  
Nontypical Buck
 
rockport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,359
Default

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
LOL! Get a grip man and just admit that some people on here know more than you do and have a lot more experience and knowledge on certain things. I'll make you a deal. You go find anything on the net put out by any experienced gun writer that will back your claim up and I'll more than offer you an apology right on this Forum. Short of that, you can go take a hike and quit your BS!
google "poi moves with scope power" and read until you are ready to apologize I guess. Its not hidden information

Its not supposed to happen but it does....quite often with cheap scopes,more than it should with mid range scopes and even rarely with high end scopes.

It IS a common problem with variable power scopes and especially scopes at or below the price point of the Nikon prostaff.
rockport is offline  
Old 12-07-2015, 10:18 PM
  #24  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 12
Default

Jesus, I got on here to ask a simple question, not start a fight. Just calm down and act like adults. Everyone has opinions on whatever so don't get on here starting trouble. Just chill guys.
AutumnGhost is offline  
Old 12-07-2015, 10:19 PM
  #25  
Nontypical Buck
 
MudderChuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Germany/Calif.
Posts: 2,664
Default

Originally Posted by rockport
If being obnoxious made you smart you would sure be a genius.

Experience is how I came up with that statement. Ive never had one 12 inches off but it is a common problem in "decent" scopes whether you know it or not. Ive seen it with my own eyes on numerous occasions and have scopes on hand that do it and have seen higher end scopes than the Nikon prostaff do it.
Same here, one reason I leave my scopes on one magnification (usually the highest for me. just because I'm used to it). The difference can be minor (less than an inch) and not anything like 12 inches at 75 yards.

Most standard eye relief scopes are set to have the least parallax at a hundred yards. Long eye relief scopes at 50 yards. Some are adjustable.

Parallax has something to do with how the target, front lens, rear lens, intermediate or reversal lens/reticule and your eye align. The light in your scope doesn't travel in a straight line anyway, seems counter intuitive but fact. The four (most often) lenses have to align, when you increase magnification some lenses move. The likelihood of the bent light not aligning in exactly the same plane increases. Better people than I have tried to explain this and usually needed a book to do it.

One major variable can be if your are crowding the scope. Most standard rifle scopes are designed for 3 3/4"-4 inch eye relief. Crowding the scope can really magnify the variables. If you see a black ring around your image in the scope you are to close.

Make sure nothing is touching your scope but the rings.

Make sure all your mounting hardware is tight. I've had ring screws come loose before.

The reticle itself is on a separate lens (prism) located where your windage and elevation knobs are located. Not beyond the realm of possibility the reversal lens (turns the image right side up and has the reticle on it) came loose or your elevation and windage hardware came loose. Not uncommon for a dropped or damaged scope. I've seen people do a poor job of mounting a scope and running out of windage or elevation and stripped the threads trying to force the elevation or windage knobs, beyond the end stops.
MudderChuck is offline  
Old 12-07-2015, 10:29 PM
  #26  
Nontypical Buck
 
rockport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,359
Default

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
Same here, one reason I leave my scopes on one magnification (usually the highest for me. just because I'm used to it). The difference can be minor (less than an inch) and not anything like 12 inches at 75 yards.

Most standard eye relief scopes are set to have the least parallax at a hundred yards. Long eye relief scopes at 50 yards. Some are adjustable.

Parallax has something to do with how the target, front lens, rear lens, intermediate or reversal lens/reticule and your eye align. The light in your scope doesn't travel in a straight line anyway, seems counter intuitive but fact. The four (most often) lenses have to align, when you increase magnification some lenses move. The likelihood of the bent light not aligning in exactly the same plane increases. Better people than I have tried to explain this and usually needed a book to do it.

One major variable can be if your are crowding the scope. Most standard rifle scopes are designed for 3 3/4"-4 inch eye relief. Crowding the scope can really magnify the variables. If you see a black ring around your image in the scope you are to close.

Make sure nothing is touching your scope but the rings.

Make sure all your mounting hardware is tight. I've had ring screws come loose before.

The reticle itself is on a separate lens (prism) located where your windage and elevation knobs are located. Not beyond the realm of possibility the reversal lens (turns the image right side up and has the reticle on it) came loose or your elevation and windage hardware came loose. Not uncommon for a dropped or damaged scope. I've seen people do a poor job of mounting a scope and running out of windage or elevation and stripped the threads trying to force the elevation or windage knobs, beyond the end stops.
The worst Ive owned is about 4 inches off with the Bushnell trophy xlt. Ive seen a few that were worse than that but never 12 inches at 75 yards.

Anyway as my original point before the thread was derailed it is very much a problem common enough to check every scope and especially lower and mid range scopes before hunting.
rockport is offline  
Old 12-07-2015, 10:33 PM
  #27  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 8,019
Default

Originally Posted by AutumnGhost
Jesus, I got on here to ask a simple question, not start a fight. Just calm down and act like adults. Everyone has opinions on whatever so don't get on here starting trouble. Just chill guys.
Not fighting, but rather just trying to give correct answers to your problem! If POI moves to any appreciable degree when you change powers on a variable scope there is a problem, no ifs, ands or buts, and it doesn't involve what MC mentioned. I'm talking more than about 1/2 to 1 MOA shift in POI from low to high, so maybe that's where the miscommunication we're having lies. If you have any more than that from the lowest power to the highest power the scope will go then there is an internal problem that needs correction. A 12" shift like you mentioned is absolutely ridiculous and even a $100 cheapo scope shouldn't be off very far as to really even be noticeable. However, the cheaper the scope the more likely you are to have any type of problem with it, especially if it's placed on a big bore rifle with a lot of recoil.
Topgun 3006 is offline  
Old 12-07-2015, 10:41 PM
  #28  
Nontypical Buck
 
rockport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,359
Default

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Not fighting, but rather just trying to give correct answers to your problem! If POI moves to any appreciable degree when you change powers on a variable scope there is a problem, no ifs, ands or buts, and it doesn't involve what MC mentioned. I'm talking more than about 1/2 to 1 MOA shift in POI from low to high, so maybe that's where the miscommunication we're having lies. If you have any more than that from the lowest power to the highest power the scope will go then there is an internal problem that needs correction. A 12" shift like you mentioned is absolutely ridiculous and even a $100 cheapo scope shouldn't be off very far as to really even be noticeable. However, the cheaper the scope the more likely you are to have any type of problem with it, especially if it's placed on a big bore rifle with a lot of recoil.

Lets be honest.......the problem here is you flying off the handle like usual instead of having a normal conversation like a normal person and yes a shift in more than 1 MOA is a common problem in a cheapo scope and more of a problem than it should be in $200-$300 scopes.

It shouldn't happen but it does
rockport is offline  
Old 12-07-2015, 10:48 PM
  #29  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 8,019
Default

Originally Posted by rockport
Lets be honest.......the problem here is you flying off the handle like usual instead of having a normal conversation like a normal person and yes a shift in more than 1 MOA is a common problem in a cheapo scope and more of a problem than it should be in $200-$300 scopes.

It shouldn't happen but it does
Me flying off the handle, LOL! The only thing that derailed the thread is you and your obnoxious temper that always has to show if someone says you're wrong about something. Then it's the same old baloney where you go off like a dang little kid with your stupid temper tantrums instead of backing yourself up. If you have a scope that has a 4" POI shift when changing powers like you stated and haven't had the manufacturer take care of the problem then you deserve it and are not the expert you think you are! No scope that's built properly should have more than a MOA shift from low through high power and if it does it needs to be repaired or replaced. Google all you want like you told me too and you'll find out exactly what I'm stating. How many scoped center fire rifles do you own to even be in this conversation when you live in a state where you can't even deer hunt with one?
Topgun 3006 is offline  
Old 12-07-2015, 11:11 PM
  #30  
Nontypical Buck
 
rockport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,359
Default

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Me flying off the handle, LOL! The only thing that derailed the thread is you and your obnoxious temper that always has to show if someone says you're wrong about something. Then it's the same old baloney where you go off like a dang little kid with your stupid temper tantrums instead of backing yourself up. If you have a scope that has a 4" POI shift when changing powers like you stated and haven't had the manufacturer take care of the problem then you deserve it and are not the expert you think you are! No scope that's built properly should have more than a MOA shift from low through high power and if it does it needs to be repaired or replaced. Google all you want like you told me too and you'll find out exactly what I'm stating. How many scoped center fire rifles do you own to even be in this conversation when you live in a state where you can't even deer hunt with one?
lol just wow...maybe you should just gather yourself a read through the thread again and see exactly what really happened here.

Not that it really matters but I have about five scoped 22 rifles, a scoped .223 , a scoped .308 , a scoped .444, and 2 bolt action slug guns with scopes.

So I have about 10 guns with scopes. I don't need 100 rifles with scopes but I do actually use the ones I have.

I mean what are you really even talking about? What difference does it make that I can't deer hunt with a rifle? Do you think scopes have this problem more or less if put on rifled shotguns? I guess I don't understand why you think that is relevant.

No, the problem here is and always has been you. I don't care if you disagree and had anybody else disagreed they probably would not have led with "Don't know how you came up with that lame, incorrect statement" <<<<<<<<that is where the problem is right there. Then I would have had a normal conversation with them like normal people do.

You on the other hand are very wrong and very obnoxious about it.


Now you can go ahead and tell me how many more rifles you have and how long you have been hunting and try to project you nonsense on me or you can just spare me because Ive already seen it all in the other 500 arguments you have started on here.
rockport is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.