Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Magnification on a riflescope. >

Magnification on a riflescope.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Magnification on a riflescope.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:51 AM
Spike

Default Magnification on a riflescope.

I went hunting this weekend and missed a decent deer due to my scope. I have a nikon prostaff 3-9-40 riflescope with nikoplex reticle. I always sight my gun in at 3x at about 75 yards. I'm limited on clear shots around here. To make a long story short I zoomed my scope in at 6x and missed the deer. Came home and was shooting dead on zero. Zoomed in the scope to 9x just to see what it would do. It dropped the bullet about 12 inches low. Why would a scope change the point of impact when just simply zoomed in. Thx for the input.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by AutumnGhost
I went hunting this weekend and missed a decent deer due to my scope. I have a nikon prostaff 3-9-40 riflescope with nikoplex reticle. I always sight my gun in at 3x at about 75 yards. I'm limited on clear shots around here. To make a long story short I zoomed my scope in at 6x and missed the deer. Came home and was shooting dead on zero. Zoomed in the scope to 9x just to see what it would do. It dropped the bullet about 12 inches low. Why would a scope change the point of impact when just simply zoomed in. Thx for the input.
It shouldn't make any real difference in impact point and if yours did what you are saying I'd be talking to a Nikon rep. and asking for a replacement ASAP!
Old 12-07-2015, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

As an experiment;

Shoot 5 shot groups; one "group" on 3X, one "group" on 6X & one "group" on 9X.

If you have 3 (tight !) groups all at different points of impact, you can send it back with confidence (enclose target as proof) !!!

Let us know the results of the 3 groups set on the 3 different powers.

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-08-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty common really although 12 inches at 75 yards is more than usual it is something that should always be checked.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Prostaff is the same at 3X or 9X where it hits. The eye relief is really tight on the Prostaff that is my only complaint on that particular scope.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:04 PM
Spike

Default AutumnGhost

I called Nikon today and they just told me to download the spot on app for phone. The rep said that it will move the reticle. He basically said I gotta guess where to aim.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sheridan
As an experiment;

Shoot 5 shot groups; one "group" on 3X, one "group" on 6X & one "group" on 9X.

If you have 3 (tight !) groups all at different points of impact, you can send it back with confidence (enclose target as proof) !!!

Let us know the results of the 3 groups set on the 3 different powers.

Yes, Very good idea! Also post us a pic of the target.
Maybe we could help more if we could see the groups.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I called Nikon today and they just told me to download the spot on app for phone. The rep said that it will move the reticle. He basically said I gotta guess where to aim.

??? That makes no sense. Sight in at 3x and you need to guess where you might hit if you adjust your power to 6 or 9?

My scopes hit the same at 3x or 9x or in between.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rockport
Pretty common really although 12 inches at 75 yards is more than usual it is something that should always be checked.
Don't know how you came up with that lame, incorrect statement because a decent scope will not change a bullet's impact at it's various power settings. If they did to any extent, there wouldn't be any being sold! If one does change impact points to any extent, I would tell the person just like I told the OP, to contact the manufacturer and have the scope repaired or, better yet, replaced.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

You completely lost me with that post! Please explain what in the heck you are talking about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.