Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Savage 250-3000 deer question... >

Savage 250-3000 deer question...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Savage 250-3000 deer question...

Old 12-06-2015, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Meant neck, and you know I meant case neck sheesh. I'm old and type one thing and mean another. You will be too one day ya pup!

As far as the differences between the creed and the 250 savage case, there is very little differences between the 2 and full forming is easy as can be. Built more than 2000 rounds using it so I kinda know a little bit about it. With the 22-250 case you come out anywhere from 3-5 thousandths shorter which isn't a whole heck of a lot but if you do run a hot loading your will have much more tendency to have a stuck case in the chamber. That's what led me to the creed case. Although, sizing a 22-250 case can be done easier using the old media fire forming technique (powder,cream of wheat,fiber wad on top) then annealing the case NECK (hush pup ) after fire forming. Either or. But you can load full power loads with the creed. Not so much with the 22-250 brass. Annealing can be tricky to some RR as I'm sure you well know. Many tend to over do it and end up with split necks.
I suspected you knew better, I also know there are those who don't, that is why I mentioned it, split necks come from under annealing, over doing it results is loss of neck tension, just don't want anyone weakening the case webs through a misunderstanding and facing the possibility of a ruptured case.
RR
Old 12-06-2015, 03:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Getting brass is easy. Buy 22-250 and run it through a full length sizing die to bring it back to 25 caliber and then load a light load a fire form it. From then on all you have to do is neck size it.

Problem solved.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
Getting brass is easy. Buy 22-250 and run it through a full length sizing die to bring it back to 25 caliber and then load a light load a fire form it. From then on all you have to do is neck size it.

Problem solved.
just a simple neck expansion, no need to fireform.
RR
Old 12-09-2015, 04:39 PM
Spike

My son hunted with one, used 85gr bullets killed deer from 50 to 150yds, you can buy brass at most gun shows we did we also hunt the woods of Michigan.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:34 PM
Spike

Default Great info!

This forum is outstanding… Thank you all for the many insights and answers. I didn't hunt as a kid because my Father didn't. I joined the military and am back home after 32 years and just completed my first season at "Deer Camp," and absolutely love the process and experience. Because I never met my late father-in-law, and have two Sons of my own, this Savage 99 does have sentimental value to me and I'm determined to keep it, use it and shoot it with my boys. I've been reading lots of different threads in this forum and I'm really glad that I stumbled across this in my searches for info. I'll update when I solve this. In the meantime, thank you all for your time.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:35 PM
Spike

That's good to hear, thanks
Old 12-11-2015, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

Personally me I would keep it. It is a cool little bit of history (mainly because I like old guns), it was free. You probably might not get much out of it do to the limited ammo but I would buy some shoot it bigger out what shoots the best. Then buy a few boxes here and there. Keep it and have fun plenty of energy to harvest a deer out at 150 yards even 200 yards.

Here is some ammo:
http://www.wikiarms.com/search?q=250+Savage&caliber=

Hendershots loads bullets from TTSX, Awift Aframe, Ballistic tip, Accubond, Partition, GMX, Spire point, Interbond, and Scirocco II.
https://hendershots.net/product/250-...e-custom-ammo/

If you reload here is a website for brass. If you don't feel like re-sizing 22-250 brass.
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/25337

Last edited by Brandon_SPC; 12-11-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-13-2022, 06:47 AM
Spike

Just found this forum and love the cornucopia of information....
I've been hunting for a long time and with many different firearms as I have a "small" collection and I load for everything I shoot.
While I've never hunted with the 250 Savage, I used to own a Savage 99 which I sold after my divorce, but recently acquired one made in 1935 on the cheap ($600) and in great shape for its age.
I just gave her a thorough once over. The brass rotator and chrome bolt look almost new and the bore is in like new condition. Obviously not fired very much or at least very well maintained.
I've had primed cases in my stash for over 20 years, so I finally loaded them up with 87 grain spire points over Varget though I forget exactly how many grains because I'm at work.
One thing I'm certain of, is that at the ranges I've had to take shots, typically under 100 yards, I have no doubt in my mind that a well place shot on a white tail with an 87 gr spire point leaving the barrel at around 3000FPS will do exactly what it's supposed to do when it hits its target.
The deer may go a short distance if at all, but it won't go far.
I've read a great many stories about deer successfully taken with the 87 gr bullets.
I've also read stories about deer that were hit but got away.... and I'm guessing because of a crappy shot.
I'm going to take the Savage out at least once this season. Maybe more, but I intend to take a deer with it.
It's always been about shot placement !