HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Savage 250-3000 deer question...
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2022, 06:47 AM
NY444
Spike

Just found this forum and love the cornucopia of information....
I've been hunting for a long time and with many different firearms as I have a "small" collection and I load for everything I shoot.
While I've never hunted with the 250 Savage, I used to own a Savage 99 which I sold after my divorce, but recently acquired one made in 1935 on the cheap ($600) and in great shape for its age.
I just gave her a thorough once over. The brass rotator and chrome bolt look almost new and the bore is in like new condition. Obviously not fired very much or at least very well maintained.
I've had primed cases in my stash for over 20 years, so I finally loaded them up with 87 grain spire points over Varget though I forget exactly how many grains because I'm at work.
One thing I'm certain of, is that at the ranges I've had to take shots, typically under 100 yards, I have no doubt in my mind that a well place shot on a white tail with an 87 gr spire point leaving the barrel at around 3000FPS will do exactly what it's supposed to do when it hits its target.
The deer may go a short distance if at all, but it won't go far.
I've read a great many stories about deer successfully taken with the 87 gr bullets.
I've also read stories about deer that were hit but got away.... and I'm guessing because of a crappy shot.
I'm going to take the Savage out at least once this season. Maybe more, but I intend to take a deer with it.
It's always been about shot placement !