Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
New hunter - First Hunt - Great Time, but I missed :( >

New hunter - First Hunt - Great Time, but I missed :(

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New hunter - First Hunt - Great Time, but I missed :(

Old 11-15-2015, 06:35 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by ski_rush
Ya, not only was it my first shot with that rifle, but it was my first shot with rifle ever. I really don't know if it was sighted in; the rifle was stored in a guys gun safe for a while. You bring up a good point that everyone shots different. I'm also a left-handed shooter, and they were all right handed. That might make a big difference in sighting the scope in too.

Thanks for your input. You, at least, made me feel better about not making the shot. I wish I could do it again, but I want to practice with the rifle first.
...Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 11-16-2015 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Rules 2, 4, 6, 8 & 12--Temp Ban increased to 2 Weeks
Old 11-15-2015, 06:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Czech
Why? His post is more intelligent than any of the ones you've made. He asked for advice and info and he received some which he gave thanks for. That seems to mean he is willing to learn.

Last edited by CalHunter; 11-16-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:59 PM
Spike

Learn to be proficient with your weapon, go to a range and get more practice.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:06 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
Why? His post is more intelligent than any of the ones you've made. He asked for advice and info and he received some which he gave thanks for. That seems to mean he is willing to learn.
...Deleted by CalHunter... The OP wasn't even serious, and I'd expect you to know the difference.

Last edited by CalHunter; 11-15-2015 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Rules 2, 8 & 12--Warning.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:47 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Czech

Sigh......Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 11-16-2015 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Warning
Old 11-16-2015, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

For the OP (ski rush) and everyone else, please use the complaint ticket button (yellow triangle with an exclamation mark on the left of each post) and report rules violations or PM a moderator. As you can see from above, people responding in kind just makes more work for a mod, even if it's just deleting the original offensive post.

Now if getting back to the topic at hand, another possibility is known as "buck fever." This happens when a hunter sees a shootable buck, gets overexcited/nervous, etc. and rushes the shot. Not saying this applies to you but it does happen. Almost every hunter has dealt with this at one time or another, even if it's just rushing a shot.

To overcome buck fever (and other shooting issues), most people spend more range time practicing shots from hunting positions (not sitting at a range bench) and then remember to breathe and relax while making the shot at a buck after that. If this isn't applicable to your situation, the range practice stuff and breathing is still good stuff to practice.

On the plus side, you saw a buck on your first deer hunt, got a shot and are likely now hooked like the rest of us. It's a rush and a lot of fun. There's a HUGE wealth of knowledge in this forum (you've already seen some of it above) and many members willingly share their expertise, experience and knowledge with each other.

So welcome to the forums and enjoy reading and learning like the rest of us. That can get a bit addictive also.

CalHunter
Old 11-16-2015, 11:01 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

If you got everything you shot at, to easy i quit. Enjoy the moment, some times you will a dry spell.