Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
New hunter - First Hunt - Great Time, but I missed :( >

New hunter - First Hunt - Great Time, but I missed :(

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New hunter - First Hunt - Great Time, but I missed :(

Old 11-15-2015, 04:08 AM
Spike

Default New hunter - First Hunt - Great Time, but I missed :(

I moved to a rural state recently and decided to take advantage of my new rural surroundings. I went deer hunting yesterday with a few seasoned hunters. I'm only been one other time. Honestly, it was my first time using a rifle with a scope. I had used a plain old 12 gauge before. I borrowed the rifle, so I had no experience with it. I had a great time, but I'm a bit embarrassed about my one and only shot of the day...

While walking with one of the guys, he spots a deer in front of us and shows it to me. He said it's yours and moves out of the way so I could line up and take a shot. Perhaps I got over-excited, but I friggin missed. Granted the shot was through thick trees, but it was only 75-100 yards away. I know any one of the guys I was with would have downed that deer in a second. But, I missed. I was utterly embarrassed, especially since the guy allowed me to take the shot.

I had a great time with it and want to keep hunting (it obviously would have been more fun if my shot hit the target). I might be hunting alone at this point.

...Any tips on lining up the shot?

Last edited by ski_rush; 11-15-2015 at 04:22 AM.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Go the range and practice regularly at various distances and burn through some ammo until you have confidence in your ability and take an experienced shooter with you. Then continue to practice every year.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:34 AM
Banned

well , if it was through thick trees ,how do you know they could have made the shot. sounds to me like maybe it was a shot you should not have taken, especially with your inexperience.
you may have had buck fever, it happens, count your blessings that you missed and did not wound it. learn from your mistake and move forward.
I agree with Oldtimer . go to the range and practice ,practice ,practice. learn your capabilities, grow in confidence and strive to never let it happen again. anything less is poor hunting ethics.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Did you get the chance to shoot the rifle before you fired at the deer or was that the first round you ever fired through that rifle? It is nearly impossible for one person to properly sight in a rifle for someone else. Different people hold the rifle in different ways, mount it to their shoulders differently, anchor it the their cheeks differently etc... These things can make a huge difference.

How do you know the scope was even sighted in? You can't just slap on on a rifle and expect it to be sighted. Was the rifle sighted in for the ammo you were using? Different ammo can make a huge difference. You say the deer was in thick stuff. The smallest twig can deflect a bullet. I once had a twig thinner than a pencil deflect a 300 gr bullet from a 375 H&H in Africa when I was shooting at a Western Hartebeest in Cameroon.

I salute your friends for taking you hunting but they kind of set you up to fail by not allowing you the chance to get a little familiar with the rifle and to get some shooting time in. And there is no way of knowing the other hunters would have made the shot since it was in thick stuff. Every hunter has missed. Don't let it get you down, but invest some time on the range.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:06 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
Did you get the chance to shoot the rifle before you fired at the deer or was that the first round you ever fired through that rifle?

How do you know the scope was even sighted in? You can't just slap on on a rifle and expect it to be sighted. Was the rifle sighted in for the ammo you were using? Different ammo can make a huge difference. You say the deer was in thick stuff. The smallest twig can deflect a bullet.
Ya, not only was it my first shot with that rifle, but it was my first shot with rifle ever. I really don't know if it was sighted in; the rifle was stored in a guys gun safe for a while. You bring up a good point that everyone shots different. I'm also a left-handed shooter, and they were all right handed. That might make a big difference in sighting the scope in too.

Thanks for your input. You, at least, made me feel better about not making the shot. I wish I could do it again, but I want to practice with the rifle first.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:13 AM
Typical Buck

Head to the range, that said it can happen to anybody. I had my 1st clean miss yesterday with my Encore. I know it is sighted good but I was standing straight up in the middle of a field and was not prepared to shoot. It is a bummer but it happens.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of things can go wrong shooting a rifle. I'd read a little and learn the steps to taking a good shot. Like to control your breathing and trigger squeeze (not jerk).

It is much easier to get the steps down firing from a supported position. Repetition builds muscle memory, but not random repetition. You repeat the steps and take the shot, until it is ingrained in your brain, then repeat from an unsupported position. Then try shooting left and right. Even after all these years when going to the range I start out slow and make sure all of my shooting steps are correct, then I pick up the pace.

I've had twigs deflect a shot on numerous occasions.

I never shoot unsupported when I can shoot supported. I'll use a tree, a fence post, sitting supported on a knee, most anything is preferable to standing and shooting without a support.

I rarely rush my shots. If I don't get a shot I like, I'll let it pass.

Better luck next time.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ski_rush
Ya, not only was it my first shot with that rifle, but it was my first shot with rifle ever. I really don't know if it was sighted in; the rifle was stored in a guys gun safe for a while. You bring up a good point that everyone shots different. I'm also a left-handed shooter, and they were all right handed. That might make a big difference in sighting the scope in too.

Thanks for your input. You, at least, made me feel better about not making the shot. I wish I could do it again, but I want to practice with the rifle first.
I could repeat what has already been said about the need to being familiar with the equipment you are using but I won't. The fact that you are responding positively to ,and accepting advice offered to you through constructive criticism, says a lot about your desire to improve.
As far as the miss, it happens to even seasoned hunters at some point and time.

Welcome to the site and Good Luck this season.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good and bad news from me. Bad is I'm going to have to beat you up - like to a pulp.

I'm all in agreement with Flags. You had no business and conducted yourself in one of the most unethical manners a hunter can by using a rifle you had no experience with or practice with. If you didn't know you were proficient with that rifle and your practical range limit you had NO BUSINESS shooting at an animal. NONE. It also appears that you are involved with unethical hunters. They should have insisted that you practice and become proficient with the rifle before heading into the woods with you and telling you the first deer was yours. IMO these hunters need a serious tune up of their hunting ethics and because the ethics are obviously lacking there are other areas that may be of concern such as safe practices and obeying laws. You consider them "seasoned" but I can tell you that the "seasoning" is sour.

The good thing is that you are living in an area that has hunting opportunity and many people don't have that. I strongly suggest that you take a state certified hunter safety course and find some other more ethical hunters to hunt with. If you want to hunt with these guys you should talk with them about all this. If they cannot man up to their mistakes, take corrective action and move on they wouldn't be my kind of hunting buddies. Maybe hunter safety class for all?
Old 11-15-2015, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree that "they" set you up to fail.

The best advise is the part about PRACTICE..................

Remember this is a life and death situation, and you owe it to your quarry to make a ethical kill.

As a rule; never take a shot you think you can make, only take a shot you KNOW you can make.

You'll be fine going forward - enjoy it !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.