Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
I hate to talk about the 1st clean miss with my Encore. >

I hate to talk about the 1st clean miss with my Encore.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I hate to talk about the 1st clean miss with my Encore.

Old 11-14-2015, 04:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default I hate to talk about the 1st clean miss with my Encore.

I started hunting with an Encore 8 or so years ago. I have killed a ton of deer with it. I am one of those guys who always has something weird happen in the woods. Weather it is a squirrel climbing my leg, it seems to happen to me. I decided to get a GoPro this year and today was my first time to use it. I was walking out of the woods and was in the middle of a 100 acre corn field heading to the car. Before I stepped from the woods to the field I took a look and saw nothing. As I was walking out I was looking back over my should to make sure I didn't kick anything up and I was looking at the ground in front of me looking at tracks. I look up and about 150 yards in front of me is a nice buck (at least 8 points, big body) walking toward me. Again I am 100 yards or more away from the woods, in the middle of a plowed field. I have my gun over my shoulder and had a stool in my off hand that I had been sitting on. I was afraid to try to kneel down for a more steady shot. I turned on the camera, dropped the stool and took aim. I grunted to stop the deer and when I did he turned and started trotting right toward me. I have shot several deer "head on" in the chest and it is always devastating. Standing up with no rest I should have waited for a better shot but with the deer trotting toward me I figured it was just a matter of time before he "sobered up" and realized he was heading toward me. I hate to miss but I am glad it was a clean miss. The video is a little grainy because I had to lower the quality to get it uploaded from my slow internet connection.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I feel for ya.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:37 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by flyinlowe
I started hunting with an Encore 8 or so years ago. I have killed a ton of deer with it. I am one of those guys who always has something weird happen in the woods. Weather it is a squirrel climbing my leg, it seems to happen to me. I decided to get a GoPro this year and today was my first time to use it. I was walking out of the woods and was in the middle of a 100 acre corn field heading to the car. Before I stepped from the woods to the field I took a look and saw nothing. As I was walking out I was looking back over my should to make sure I didn't kick anything up and I was looking at the ground in front of me looking at tracks. I look up and about 150 yards in front of me is a nice buck (at least 8 points, big body) walking toward me. Again I am 100 yards or more away from the woods, in the middle of a plowed field. I have my gun over my shoulder and had a stool in my off hand that I had been sitting on. I was afraid to try to kneel down for a more steady shot. I turned on the camera, dropped the stool and took aim. I grunted to stop the deer and when I did he turned and started trotting right toward me. I have shot several deer "head on" in the chest and it is always devastating. Standing up with no rest I should have waited for a better shot but with the deer trotting toward me I figured it was just a matter of time before he "sobered up" and realized he was heading toward me. I hate to miss but I am glad it was a clean miss. The video is a little grainy because I had to lower the quality to get it uploaded from my slow internet connection.

I turned on the camera, dropped the stool and took aim.

LOL .
Old 11-16-2015, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

It was crazy and happened quick. I am assuming the buck was really rutting and only had one thing on his mind. As soon as I grunted he turned and started trotting right toward me. I had the scope on him and the second he stopped I shot. Looking back it it might not have hurt to see if he came closer. I have had deer in the past take off very quickly so I didn't know if I would have another chance or not. Just glad it was a clean miss.