Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First for the season

Old 10-26-2015, 03:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MaineRida
Congrats on the deer, it is interesting the way deer react. I have had archery shot deer flinch and continue walking forward while blood is pumping out both sides.

I love my thermo-cell, keeps the skeeters at bay and hasn't spooked a deer to the best of my knowledge...
Thanks, yeah the way a deer reacts at times is boggling. After field dressing it both lungs where completely gone and lack of oxygen may be what leads a deer to do strange things.

I have a love/hate relationship with thermo cells. They work great but really they do leave something to be desired. Have had slight breezes that allowed mosquitoes to chew on one side of my back while the rest of me is protected by the aroma or the turn it on and wait 20 min for the system to heat up enough to put out the smoke. Never mind if you have to walk through the woods either, trail of smoke does you no good. Other then that they work great.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the only pic I got around to taking, tell ya, those mosquitoes tore me up. Arms are still itching and dotted all over. Haven't had it this bad in years.
Attached Thumbnails First for the season-deer.jpg  
Old 10-26-2015, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks good to me

I shoot a yearling every year and I actually prefer it be a buck. Its good eatin and I figure the doe that lives because I shot the yearling buck instead will probably produce several more just like him. I don't shoot bucks that are from 1.5-3.5 and I won't shoot 2 or 3 yearling bucks a year but like I said I will shoot usually 1 yearling a year and I'm just as happy(happier) for it to be a buck.

Last edited by rockport; 10-28-2015 at 06:01 AM.