Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Amazing day!!!

Old 10-16-2003, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Amazing day!!!

I had my first opportunity to go afield this season on saturday, I sat in a ground blind overlooking a small pond, I heard a squirrel playing behind me, so I turned to check it out, at ten feet behind me is this squirrel, at 20yrds behind my right shoulder was a pair of does and a 8pt buck (I only have a doe tag, so I was looking hard at the gals), they were thinking about heading down to the pond, so I turned back to move acroos my blind a bit to get a shot....then I see 5yrds out to the left of my stand, a doe with two fawns headed right towards me, I froze, the doe approached and stopped at 9ft (I measured), looking right at me in my open faced natural material blind, and one of the fawns kept walking in, stepping across the face of my blind just under 4ft away from where I sat!! Of course, since they were in so close, I wasn' t able to raise my bow, so I sat and stared into the brown eyes of a doe within spitting distance for about 15min as the fawns drank, eventually the wind shifted and she must have got a whiff of me, she flagged and started trotting off, never ran though.

The next day a herd of cattle had broken out from across the street and were all over the pond, at day break, so I didn' t get the opportunity again, maybe this weekend?!?!?!?
Old 10-16-2003, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Amazing day!!!

I think it' s great when you get deer that close and you can see every detail on their face and eyes. I' ve actually had a doe stick her head in a brush pile I was in and touch me with her nose. She didn' t hang around after that but an awsome experience.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:06 PM

Default RE: Amazing day!!!

Great stories! I was sitting on the ground one day around a bunch of scrapes and rubs when I nice 8 pointer walked in within 20 feet of me! He sure did eat good and his rack is now with the others on the side of my storage shed. Good Luck!! -- CDH