Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ISN'T IT AMAZING >

ISN'T IT AMAZING

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ISN'T IT AMAZING

Old 02-12-2005, 06:46 AM

Default ISN'T IT AMAZING

I was in my local shop yesterday and noticed something that never caught my attention before. Isn't it amazing how bowhunting is the one thing where a wealthy guy and average joe can stand side by side and you wouldn't know it by looking at their equipment. I hate the way bow prices keep going up and up. The average joe I feel is the majority of hunters and the bow companies are someday going to price him out. Then I ask you where will they be? They keep raising their prices and we keep paying them. I am as guilty of this as anyone so what do we do. I feel as if they have us as consumers over the barrel and take advantage of this. These top end companies definitely make top end stuff but how much more can a bow go up. I mean they are not inventing a cure for cancer!!!! Sorry Just Venting. I saw this guy at the shop cut a local doctor here in town a $75 deal on a bow and at the same time made a guy I work with pay full price for the same bow and both frequent the establishment equally, but the $75 probably did'nt mean as much to the one as it would the other.[:@][>:]
Old 02-12-2005, 06:59 AM

Default RE: ISN'T IT AMAZING

That sucks[:@]gotta hate when that happens
Old 02-12-2005, 07:19 AM

One way to lower the cost of bows is for guys to qiut buying a new bow every year..I figured If I'm going to pay 600.00 for my mathews Q2 four years ago,I'm going to get my money out of it. Granted it not the fastest bow out there,but it sure is smooth and quiet. The one thing I do do to get that new feeling is change a rest one year and maybe sights the next. To buy a new bow every year is a big reason the prices are so high.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

If I wanted to hunt this past archery season I was forced to pay over a 1000.00 for a handicapped piece of equipment. Anf the disabled are usually the least able to afford big money items
Old 02-12-2005, 08:24 AM

You probably can also limit your expenses by not buying a 650 dollar bow becasue there are plenty of 300-500 dollar bows brand new that will get the job done and the used rack can be great. Hoyts for half price are all over the place around here and they are one-two seasons old, same as Mathews. Heck, I just bought a used bow that retails at 750 for 375. Never had it left the shop, less than 100 shots through it.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:42 AM

It's simple.....the bow manufactures have excellent sales staff. They continue to sell us on the fact that we need the lastest, up to date equipment and gimmicks. They hire famous hunters and target archers to shoot thier bows, wear the latest high-tec camo outfits, dangle a pair of $1500 binoculars around thier neck and set them up on a deer ranch where the cull bucks are mid-range P&Y contenders. A month later the ads start appearing showing the successful hunter posing with a behemoth of a buck claiming that if you want this, you need to buy (this). And we do it[:@]
Old 02-12-2005, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

elkcrazedfrk, your right I think that unless you are a target shooter there is not need to buy a new bow every year. I have been bowhunting since 1989 and with new Switchback I am buying now it will make my 4th bow that I ever owned. My first bow was used, my parents bought it for me as a B-day present. Two years later, I bought my first brand new bow and I used it for 6 years. Then I bought a new bow in 1997 and have used that up until now, and with my new Switchback I plan on using it for at least 5 or 6 years for sure, hopfully more! I do think that if you go back 5, 6, 7 or so years ago that there is a big difference in technology with bows then and now. But if you own a bow thats only a year or two old, well I don't see much inprovement over them with the latest up to date 05 bows. Take Mathews shooters for an example. Now my brother shoots a Legacy and its a very good bow, a new Outback or a Swithcback might be better but not by much. But I have noticed that a lot of Legacy's and even a few Outbacks are being sold right now by hunters just so they can move on up to a Switchback. Bowhunters have every right to do this if they wish this and I say to each their own. But I for one would never sell my bow, let alone sell it for only half price or less of what it costs brand new. Then turn around and buy a even more expensive top of the line up to date bow. But again I say to each their own, and don't complain about the price because were all at fault. I might only buy a new bow every 5 or more years, but you can bet when I do, that it will be top of the line up to date and I will pay top dollar price too.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Every single bow on the market has everything it would ever possibly need to kill a deer and will until the end of time. Yet people will buy a new one every year. I can see target shooters wanting a new wrinkle here and there to give them absolute precision. But when talking hunting whitetails I don't see the need to get the newest model out year after year. It's more of having a new toy then to do with improving your chances to harvest an animal. Which is ok with me I'm not knocking that. Been guilty of it myself. Tis what it tis.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:56 PM

I think you all make very valid points and IdahoElk your probably doing it right. I don't want it to come across as really complaining because I have no right since I am guilty of buying a new bow every year or so. And for what? Like someone said a little gadet or gizmo here or there that in the deer woods makes no difference. I guess we are all guilty of keep up with the Jones so to speak. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:19 PM

Prices are set on what the market will bear. If a person thinks something is overpriced then simply dont buy it. I would think the people that make and sell bows are just like the rest of us in the fact that they feel their time and investment is worth something. How many people do you know that would turn down a raise if they could get it i would think that these manufactures are in the same boat with the rest of us insomuch that the cost of doing bussinness is going up across the board and it looks like it will continue to do so . So if you want it and can aford it buy it if not find another brand there are alot of them out there.

Quick Reply: ISN'T IT AMAZING

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.