Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How many deer

Old 11-09-2015, 02:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Yes the poor have it tuff, they refuse to take road killed deer so they lay along side the road and rot. They won't take any self processed deer if you go thru a agency too.

Personally I think they make it tough on them selves being that way.

At one time where I live every road killed deer reported to the local LEO's was taken and given to a home less shelter or other places for the poor to butcher them selves.

I do my normal donations, but I will not donate money and game too.

Al
Old 11-09-2015, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
Yes the poor have it tuff, they refuse to take road killed deer so they lay along side the road and rot. They won't take any self processed deer if you go thru a agency too.

Personally I think they make it tough on them selves being that way.

At one time where I live every road killed deer reported to the local LEO's was taken and given to a home less shelter or other places for the poor to butcher them selves.

I do my normal donations, but I will not donate money and game too.

Al
Needy families that's what I thought.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kidoggy
if the herd can't support it then fish an game should lower the limits. otherwise they are not doing their jobs. so imo , if legal and you want to kill it , do it , you have every right.

here in idaho we are only allowed one per year and I often restrain from killing one , it just depends on how full my freezer is .if it is full I will not shoot anything smaller then what I have killed in the past. if freezer is empty I will shoot anything that is legal. and if someone asks me , I will kill one and give it to them, but they gotta ask.
I don't agree with this at all. Illinois gives unlimited doe tags. In some areas that is ok and in some areas its not. I think it is the peoples responsibility to use some sense without the state managing us.

That drives me crazy when grown men shoot to many deer then blame the state for letting them.

I like to shoot A buck, a doe, and a yearling. I have had farmers that frowned upon me just shooting what I wanted and leaving in which case I shoot more. 10 or more sometimes but I have no problem finding people to eat it.

That is the crossroads. Managing a deer herd is not always about making the hunting as good as possible. How much fun we have hunting is not the only factor.

Last edited by rockport; 11-17-2015 at 04:30 AM.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I live in VA... I think the regs should be 1 buck, 2 does. That is my personal opinion.
Now I know there are plenty of areas that could support more, some areas that might be too much. But I think 6 (plus addl tags if you want them) as the standard is too much. Personally, I don't shoot any deer at my place in VA unless its a nice buck. We aren't overrun here, in fact this year its pretty desolate without any acorns. Seeing ANY deer is a bonus right now. But legally I can still shoot a pile if I wanted. We do shoot a doe now and then, but its not that often.

WV, same thing...I think it should be 1 buck, 2 does as the standard. In those areas that are overpopulated, addl doe tags should be available until they get it under control. Now I will say...where I hunt in WV, there are too many deer. I try to shoot 2-3-4 does each season - so do our other hunters. It still doesn't seem to make a difference. I think we can shoot 6 deer total, iirc.

I think the 1 buck thing would be huge for the buck population anywhere implemented, and for the overall hunting experience. The states that have the one buck limit have alot more bucks, and much bigger as well. I know that doesn't matter to some folks...they are meat hunters, so it really doesn't affect them anyhow. But I've hunted areas that have been over harvested for bucks in WV and are overpopulated to boot... its tough when you see 20-30 deer a day and they all slick heads. Needs to be better balanced.

Personally in our household, we usually eat about 3-4 deer a year. So with me and my kids, we fill our freezer typically...and its usually about out by next season.