Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How many deer

Old 10-24-2015, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Exophysical

As far as donating meat and supplying your extended family with meat, I wont do that. Here in northern Canada that is the excuse that the natives give for shooting ridiculous numbers of moose every year, and the hunting is a mere shadow of what it once was as a result in many areas. There simply is not enough game to feed every man, woman, and child. Feed your family if the herd will support it, take no more than that.
This is very dependent on the area. Virginia offers 6 deer w/our standard big game license. Some areas have greatly extended seasons due to overpopulation. VA. also has special tags which can be purchased. VA. currently regulates for quantity, not quality-although there has been talk of that changing. In any regard, I hope to take 4 this season. 2 for family, one for a land owner if they want it, and 1 for hunters for the hungry. 2 for hfth, if the landowner doesn't want one. Those 2 from an overpopulation area. My hunting starts in 2, maybe 3 weeks and I'm ready.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:53 PM
Spike

I'm wondering how tags are distributed in the east, I heard you guys don't do drawings like us in the southwest
Old 11-06-2015, 03:55 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MattAZ12908bow243
I'm wondering how tags are distributed in the east, I heard you guys don't do drawings like us in the southwest
In TN, When we buy our method specific license's( archery, muzzleloader, or gun) we are allowed ever how many deer are listed under that seasons bag limit. I have a lifetime license so it includes all three seasons.

We could legally take over 300 deer during our entire season. We just check them out after the kill.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

In NC (I have a lifetime as well) you buy your annual license you then get 6 tags. Either all can be antler-less or 4 antlered 2 antler-less. Now if you fill out all 6 tags you can then pay another fee (want to say $10) and you get 2 or 4 more antler-less tags. You can keep getting more all season. We have no sex specific season dates just starts in early Sept with archery, then by first week of Oct muzzy opens then a week or two later gun season. You can use archery all season long or muzzle all season after muzzy opens.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Lifetime license here in Vermont. We can take 3 deer this year in a combo of all seasons but rifle is buck only. Yearly limit on bucks is 2 this year going down to one next year. They use ML season lottery for doe culls.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MattAZ12908bow243
Generally speaking, in VA. you purchase your small game license, then your big game license which allows for 6 deer(stipulations apply to sex and location) and you also purchase for primitive weapons, (cross)bow or MZ, separately. With your big game license, you also get 3 turkey w/season stipulation. Previously, one bear was included, but this year bear has become a separate license. VA. also has some elk in the (south) western part of the state that can be hunted without a draw and some in a re-introduction area which can't be hunted. May sound weird but the application of the rule is simple. Bottom line is that those free range/huntable elk are hard to find or get access to.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 11-17-2015 at 01:00 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:18 PM
Spike

Wow, that must be nice just to be able to get tags without such a long process, I think I should go hunt the east one day
Old 11-07-2015, 03:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Michigan you can buy a combo buck tag over the counter, so you can tag two bucks. Different areas (DMU)have different rules too. I have to have one with at least 4 points on one side and a second can just be a 3 inch spike. Where my brother lives he can not shoot any thing less than 3 points on one side.
Brother also has to apply for a doe tag drawing. I can buy 5 doe tags a day every day over the counter.

I normally shoot two bucks a year and never any does, city people need those to shoot.

Hunters for hunger in Michigan sucks. I refuse to pay 60 to 80 dollars to have a deer processed and give it away.
I butcher my own and that should be good enough for the hungry too.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 11-07-2015 at 03:24 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Exophysical
I'd say that this is a pretty good guideline, I think however that it must be considered, can the herd support everyone taking that amount of deer? Plenty of good hunting has been ruined by people thinking that it wont matter that they take every animal that they legally can, and in that sense they are probably right, the problem is but they aren't the only hunter taking that many animals. If it would be wrong or detrimental for all hunters to take that many animals then IMO it is unethical for anyone to harvest that much meat.

As far as donating meat and supplying your extended family with meat, I wont do that. Here in northern Canada that is the excuse that the natives give for shooting ridiculous numbers of moose every year, and the hunting is a mere shadow of what it once was as a result in many areas. There simply is not enough game to feed every man, woman, and child. Feed your family if the herd will support it, take no more than that.
if the herd can't support it then fish an game should lower the limits. otherwise they are not doing their jobs. so imo , if legal and you want to kill it , do it , you have every right.

here in idaho we are only allowed one per year and I often restrain from killing one , it just depends on how full my freezer is .if it is full I will not shoot anything smaller then what I have killed in the past. if freezer is empty I will shoot anything that is legal. and if someone asks me , I will kill one and give it to them, but they gotta ask.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
Michigan you can buy a combo buck tag over the counter, so you can tag two bucks. Different areas (DMU)have different rules too. I have to have one with at least 4 points on one side and a second can just be a 3 inch spike. Where my brother lives he can not shoot any thing less than 3 points on one side.
Brother also has to apply for a doe tag drawing. I can buy 5 doe tags a day every day over the counter.

I normally shoot two bucks a year and never any does, city people need those to shoot.

Hunters for hunger in Michigan sucks. I refuse to pay 60 to 80 dollars to have a deer processed and give it away.
I butcher my own and that should be good enough for the hungry too.

Al
The poor have it tough already, why should they trust you to do the processing?

For the OP these are our regulations for Whitetailed Deer.
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dn..._7.pdf#page=16

We have a variety of habitat and our state struggles to manage the herd effectively. Timber wolves in our UP have taken a toll on the herd, along with very hard winters, and shrinking winter habitat. This year you may not shoot an antlerless without a specific tag. Farther south we have the Bovine T.B. area which has seen unlimited harvest of Does for almost 2 decades. Farther south still we have farm country and a healthy herd. Here you can shoot a doe during archery season with any tag. There are also over the counter antlerless tags for private property which most of the land is. There is a push for antler point restrictions, and a number of other issues that pits hunter against hunter.

We have learned that allowing private property owners to manage their own herds leads to disaster. There have been problems with Bovine T.B., and Blue tongue. To top it off we are seeing CWD showing up now. Our entire system needs to be reworked. Though there is a great deal of pressure from special interests which make a circus out of our Natural Resource Commission meetings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.