Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tennessee survivor

Old 02-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tennessee survivor

I got some pics of the 10 point I was telling you guys I seen on my farm. Good to see he's still living. I have a lotof pics but slow internet so I'll only upload a few. My friend let me borrow his camera last week and just now got around to postin this. I can't score/age deer very well so anyone who can I'd appreciate it. Is he perhaps 160 inches 3 1/2 years old? Idunno just a guess. I know he is tall and has nice mass but not the greatest spread.

Thanks for looking

Last edited by Master Chief; 02-05-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Spike

NICE buck. Great length, good mass. I too am bad at judging, but i think that the 150 mark is easy, and maybe as high as 165/170. then again, my guesses dont mean crap cause I like guessing size after I shot them, when I use my tape
Old 02-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah thats how I feel. Gonna get him next year though.

I also just noticed that it seems as if that spike is his little buddy lol
Old 02-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Spike

Default BIG deer for West Tennessee

Hey Master Chief: That's a r-e-a-l-l-y good deer for West Tennessee, outstanding actually.

It's very hard to age bucks in the winter because they lose so much weight in November and December. He's about mature--at least 4 1/2--and he may be 5 1/2 or older.

He's very short-bodied, that's what's throwing you off.

Words of Advice: (1) Provide that deer as much protein as he can eat this winter and into spring. (2) Get deer mineral blocks (not cow) out right now. (3) Plant beans on your farm this spring. (4) Schedule three-weeks of leave/vacation tomorrow as close to the rut as possible.. (5) Plant Austrian snow peas this fall. (6) Practice with your bow or rifle--a lot.
(7) Pray, and do lots of it.

Good Luck!!!

Bronc

Last edited by Broncazonk; 02-06-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow thats a great buck! i would say he is a 4 year old, got great mass and awesome tine length! as far as a score i would think right around 155-160. would be nice if he had longer brows but he could go as high as 165 or so. awesome buck
Old 02-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Broncazonk
Hey Master Chief: That's a r-e-a-l-l-y good deer for West Tennessee, outstanding actually.

It's very hard to age bucks in the winter because they lose so much weight in November and December. He's about mature--at least 4 1/2--and he may be 5 1/2 or older.

He's very short-bodied, that's what's throwing you off.

Words of Advice: (1) Provide that deer as much protein as he can eat this winter and into spring. (2) Get deer mineral blocks (not cow) out right now. (3) Plant beans on your farm this spring. (4) Schedule three-weeks of leave/vacation tomorrow as close to the rut as possible.. (5) Plant Austrian snow peas this fall. (6) Practice with your bow or rifle--a lot.
(7) Pray, and do lots of it.

Good Luck!!!

Bronc
Sir, you are getting me too excited! Is it legal to use mineral blocks in TN? I thought it was a form of baiting, or can you bait deer during the off season? I already actually planned on planting beans in our feilds. I also can do 5 & will do 6. I'm only 15 so no need to take vacation, and trust me I'll skip school to hunt him (I make good grades so my dad doesn't care.)

Originally Posted by Hunt4Life23
wow thats a great buck! i would say he is a 4 year old, got great mass and awesome tine length! as far as a score i would think right around 155-160. would be nice if he had longer brows but he could go as high as 165 or so. awesome buck
I hate how short his brows are as well but either way he'll look good on the wall next year(I sure hope so anyways!).

Hopefully I can find his sheds. Never really have time to shed hunt though :/
Old 02-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Spike

Default He's over 160" Gross -

I'm fairly certain he grosses over 160", somewhere in the mid/high 160's.

It about takes 8" to 10" G-4's (or really long brow-tines) to gross above 170" as a ten point.

Wow, what a nice deer. I really hope you find his sheds, at least one, so we can get his actual measurements.

It's only baiting if you hunt over mineral blocks during the season. Pull them out in September. Your deer will really benefit from having mineral right now and all through the summer.

Also, have your parents work with your school so you can work ahead, do your assignments ahead of time, so you can miss at least a week of school in one block. At least a week so you will have 9 full days, weekend to weekend, AT A MINIMUM.

Finally, practice and then practice more with your rifle or bow. You need to be shooting all winter, and all summer, weather permitting.

Listen carefully here: Make sure any new stand locations are in by this winter, and then leave them alone. DO NOT make special preparations by setting setting stands and cutting new lanes a week before the season, that will not work.

You have a chance to do something really special here. Make a quest of it. Commit to it. Dedicate yourself to it. A couple / several nice 10+ acre Austrian winter pea food plots will really help you next hunting season. If you don't plant winter wheat, and your fields are fallow over the winter, put them in the most remote parts of your most remote fields. Start planning that right now, where those plantings will be.

You may never see this deer again...but then again--you may catch him flat-footed next season. Either way, you must be prepared, because deer like this do not tolerate amateur hour.

ALSO: And most importantly... keep this kinda to yourself locally. A deer like this draws a lot of jealous customers.

Bronc

Last edited by Broncazonk; 02-06-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

Thats a really good tennessee buck but want make 160. Low to mid 150's. Heres my measurements and I'm being generous. A really nice buck though and I would age him at least to be 4.5 maybe 5.5. Tennessee deer are short and can be tricky to judge.

Beams = 48
Spread= 16
G1 = 4
G2 = 22
G3 = 20
G4 = 8
H = 34

Total 152
Old 02-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Spike

Default All his points are longer than that...

He has way to much curve in his main beam and points to be a 150" deer. I'm from Kansas and have seen boat-loads of 150" to 180" deer. That's a really good one. Best deer I've seen on the hoof from Tennessee in a very long time.

His main beams are 23" to 24".
His brow tines are both a bit over 3".
His back tines are over 12" and likely 13".
His G-3's are both over 11". (His left G-3 certainly is.)
His G-4's are both over 5".

Unless, he's an absolute midget--a tiny-bodied deer--he is really short-bodied, but I don't think so. Either way, he's well worth doing what's necessary to get this deer on the ground.

Bronc

Last edited by Broncazonk; 02-06-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Broncazonk
He has way to much curve in his main beam and points to be a 150" deer. I'm from Kansas and have seen boat-loads of 150" to 180" deer. That's a really good one. Best deer I've seen on the hoof from Tennessee in a very long time.

His main beams are 23" to 24".
His brow tines are both a bit over 3".
His back tines are over 12" and likely 13".
His G-3's are both over 11". (His left G-3 certainly is.)
His G-4's are both over 5".

Unless, he's an absolute midget--a tiny-bodied deer--he is really short-bodied, but I don't think so. Either way, he's well worth doing what's necessary to get this deer on the ground.

Bronc
Those brows are not over 3 inches. There stubs. The G4's are close to 4". I gave him 11" G2 and 10" G3. So say they are a inch longer hes still 156 and not 160. His body is really small which makes the horns look big. I bet with guts he's only around 180 lbs. Either way he's a reallly nice buck and I would not pass him up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.