Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cwd ????

Old 08-28-2015, 07:58 AM
  #1  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Park Falls Wis USA
Posts: 7
Default Cwd ????

After reading thread asking about testing for cwd in Ill. Brings back not so fond memories of the questions i asked DNR starting in the spring of 2000. I was at a turkey seminar that was being hosted by the dnr. The meeting ended and guys were milling around and a guy spoke up announcing he was the head deer ecologist for our area,and if we had any questions about deer hunting. I hesitated but said i have a question. That question was Are you concerned about CWD in Wisconsin ? His response was a bit comical , he said he would be more concerned about eating a British slim jim than about CWD in Wisconsin, every one laughed,he went on to say if it did show up it would be in the southern part of the state. He elaborated a bit more saying they would have to annihilate every deer in the endemic area. I thought this guy was a profit, because in 2000 there was no cwd in wis ,not untill 2001 did wis have its first case of CWD. Fast forward to a public informational meeting about Cwd . Front page of the St Paul Pioneer Press 43 head of elk living in Mn quarantined because a single bull elk had died in the enclosure and tested positive for CWD. Documented the bull had been purchased from another ranch in Mn 3 years prior . The rest of the herd was slaughtered and tested,not another elk came back with CWD !!! I asked how can this be ? These elk were living in close proximity, 3 acre enclosure . And yet not one other elk had cwd ? So i asked how do you explain this ,his reply was jaw dropping . He said that was Minnesota and had nothing to do with Wisconsin. It got better when he admitted he not known about the incidence, this was the DNR,s official to ask these questions to, that,s what he was there for. Need less to say i stood up in the auditorium and yelled you are not doing your job and left. And what about all the samples sent to Aims Iowa lab that were incorrect and had to be sent to Cleveland for verification ? My take, be careful what you believe about this issue.
gunnysack2 is offline  
Old 08-28-2015, 10:01 AM
  #2  
Spike
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 62
Default

Originally Posted by gunnysack2
After reading thread asking about testing for cwd in Ill. Brings back not so fond memories of the questions i asked DNR starting in the spring of 2000. I was at a turkey seminar that was being hosted by the dnr. The meeting ended and guys were milling around and a guy spoke up announcing he was the head deer ecologist for our area,and if we had any questions about deer hunting. I hesitated but said i have a question. That question was Are you concerned about CWD in Wisconsin ? His response was a bit comical , he said he would be more concerned about eating a British slim jim than about CWD in Wisconsin, every one laughed,he went on to say if it did show up it would be in the southern part of the state. He elaborated a bit more saying they would have to annihilate every deer in the endemic area. I thought this guy was a profit, because in 2000 there was no cwd in wis ,not untill 2001 did wis have its first case of CWD. Fast forward to a public informational meeting about Cwd . Front page of the St Paul Pioneer Press 43 head of elk living in Mn quarantined because a single bull elk had died in the enclosure and tested positive for CWD. Documented the bull had been purchased from another ranch in Mn 3 years prior . The rest of the herd was slaughtered and tested,not another elk came back with CWD !!! I asked how can this be ? These elk were living in close proximity, 3 acre enclosure . And yet not one other elk had cwd ? So i asked how do you explain this ,his reply was jaw dropping . He said that was Minnesota and had nothing to do with Wisconsin. It got better when he admitted he not known about the incidence, this was the DNR,s official to ask these questions to, that,s what he was there for. Need less to say i stood up in the auditorium and yelled you are not doing your job and left. And what about all the samples sent to Aims Iowa lab that were incorrect and had to be sent to Cleveland for verification ? My take, be careful what you believe about this issue.
Spot on my friend and if you were to know anything about the Iowa case, they had a positive pop up in a closed herd that had no incoming animals in over 10 years. Killed over 200 animals with only 2 more node and brain positives! How? Or even Texas as we speak. Texas is a closed border state! They found CWD in 2012 in the wild. Last month a farm killed a buck and it tested positive. They killed the herd of over 100 and found 3 more...now get this... All 3 were sons of that buck!!!!! Now the state of Texas has made anyone that got animals off this farm in the last 5 years kill their deer! Over 1000 head have been killed needlessly in the last 2 weeks and not a one was found positive! When in the world are people and states get a HNI Rule 1 violation Edited by JW clue! This stuff is related to Scrapies in sheep and they now have a genetic makeup for sheep where they are breeding Scrapies right out of any herds anywhere! This CWD crap has gone on way to long!!

Last edited by JW; 08-28-2015 at 06:10 PM.
BigTime1 is offline  
Old 08-28-2015, 10:15 AM
  #3  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 8,019
Default

Looks like the deer farmers are rounding up their buddies and whoever else they can to come on here and spout more BS. I guess this first time poster that started this thread "just happened" to come on the site today to make this his first post to agree with his buddy that probably called him and asked for help, LOL! I'm glad I'm heading to Wyoming for a couple months so I don't have to read any more of this nonsense coming from deer farmers and those in the scent industry who are only interested in $$$$$ and nothing more! What a joke! Carry on boys, as you're making fools of yourselves with very post!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 08-28-2015 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Spelling
Topgun 3006 is offline  
Old 08-28-2015, 10:19 AM
  #4  
Typical Buck
 
vapahunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Midlo, Va
Posts: 561
Default

The only ones making fools of themselves are those who want others to believe they are the experts but can not answer basic questions just rehash the same old data that proves nothing. Again where is all the money coming from on this push to ban scents everywhere?
vapahunter is offline  
Old 08-28-2015, 10:29 AM
  #5  
Boone & Crockett
 
Oldtimr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: south eastern PA
Posts: 15,424
Default

OH yeah the crap has gone on for too long, The scientists have proved prions are in urine and feces, some of the research was posted here, however we have someone with a vested interest in denial at least one, probably with two screen names maintaining with a vested interest and another denying it for whatever reason. Now the people here can believe what the research has shown and the research has been going on for quite some time, or you can believe those who have a vested interest in maintaining falsehoods. I have been around those doing the research and those using it. What I have learned living in a state that is over run with captive deer breeders is they do not want to be held to rules, they want to do whatever they want to do and they do just that. That is the reason they lobbied the general assembly to take control of them away from an agency that held their feet to the fire when they didn't obey the rules and give the responsibility to the dept of ag, who would rather look the other way and help them cover up what they are doing in the movement of animals around for breeding. They got what they want, the hunters and others in the state who enjoy deer took one in the back of the head. I wouldn't believe a captive deer or elk breeder if they were standing on a stack of bibles because I have seen what they have done and will continue to do. Yep I have a interest and that is a healthy wild deer herd. I and others have posted just a small amount of published research, you can read it and digest it or you can believe those who do not want you to know the dangers of captive deer farming. Would I like to see captive whitetail deer farming ended, you bet because I do not trust those doing it and I do not trust the dept of ag I have also seen their laxness and the caviler way they do business. Do yourselves a favor and do the research yourself, it isn't difficult to find, don't take the word of those who posted research if that will give you more confidence, just keep in mind, the only thing those so fervently denying the correlation between captive deer herds and CWD haven't provided anything but lip service and expect you to buy into it. Doesn't that strike you as suspicious?
Oldtimr is online now  
Old 08-28-2015, 10:37 AM
  #6  
Fork Horn
 
woodenb14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 107
Default

"Would I like to see captive whitetail deer farming ended, you bet because I do not trust those doing it and I do not trust the dept of ag"

Are ALL deer farmers scum? How many operations have you been around? What are your thoughts on cattle farmers? Ban them, too? There is not a captive deer farm anywhere near "here" and yet, according to the Illinois DNR, our county has CWD. Thoughts?
woodenb14 is offline  
Old 08-28-2015, 11:16 AM
  #7  
Spike
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 62
Default

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Looks like the deer farmers are rounding up their buddies and whoever else they can to come on here and spout more BS. I guess this first time poster that started this thread "just happened" to come on the site today to make this his first post to agree with his buddy that probably called him and asked for help, LOL! I'm glad I'm heading to Wyoming for a couple months so I don't have to read any more of this nonsense coming from deer farmers and those in the scent industry who are only interested in $$$$$ and nothing more! What a joke! Carry on boys, as you're making fools of yourselves with very post!
...Deleted by CalHunter... It's your problem you can't stand seeing people make a great living doing what they love. Sucks to be you! I guess you now know you will be called out over and over again now! Have a good trip and watch out about bring that CWD laden soil stuck to the bottom of your boots back home with ya!!!

Last edited by CalHunter; 09-01-2015 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Rules 2, 8 & 12--Warning.
BigTime1 is offline  
Old 08-28-2015, 11:20 AM
  #8  
Nontypical Buck
 
super_hunt54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,695
Default

wooden, I have one agenda, it's the stopping of the spread of CWD and other various diseases that affect our herds. The other isn't so much of an agenda as it is an extreme dislike of "shooting pens" that call themselves "hunting destinations". You know the type, 100 acre high fence places. THOSE I have extreme dislike for. So in answer to your question, no not all of them are scum. Some are actually good places that are trying to help in the research of CWD since it is not really feasible to hunt millions upon millions of acres to capture wild free ranging deer that may or may not be infected with the CWD prions.

In answer to your other question, how do YOU think CWD got here in Illinois? Since according to LittleTime and vapawannabe they seem to think it can't be transmitted through urine and fecal matter. How else is the prion transmitted to the plant matter and soil? According to LittleTime there is an angry little doctor running around in a white coat with a syringe injecting it into the soil and plant matter. Don't tell me you think that there weren't any of the guides around the Golden triangle that didn't buy a few of those genetic monsters from deer farms to let loose around there to improve on the gene pool. Hell I even considered that route years ago to help spunk up the gene pool on my properties. Didn't do it but I did consider it. I'm not one to blame ALL CWD on deer farmers, or the urine products they sell. But since the disease is very common among captive animals it just makes sense to err on the side of caution about the use of their products. All these guys have been shown absolute facts yet they rail on, butting their heads against the wall of scientific proof and they'll be damned if anything shown to them will change their minds. Mindsets such as theirs are what holds people back from doing things necessary to control the spread of deadly diseases. Kinda like a vegan not understanding your were born with canines and incisors for the task of eating meat!
super_hunt54 is offline  
Old 08-28-2015, 11:25 AM
  #9  
Spike
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 62
Default

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
OH yeah the crap has gone on for too long, The scientists have proved prions are in urine and feces, some of the research was posted here, however we have someone with a vested interest in denial at least one, probably with two screen names maintaining with a vested interest and another denying it for whatever reason. Now the people here can believe what the research has shown and the research has been going on for quite some time, or you can believe those who have a vested interest in maintaining falsehoods. I have been around those doing the research and those using it. What I have learned living in a state that is over run with captive deer breeders is they do not want to be held to rules, they want to do whatever they want to do and they do just that. That is the reason they lobbied the general assembly to take control of them away from an agency that held their feet to the fire when they didn't obey the rules and give the responsibility to the dept of ag, who would rather look the other way and help them cover up what they are doing in the movement of animals around for breeding. They got what they want, the hunters and others in the state who enjoy deer took one in the back of the head. I wouldn't believe a captive deer or elk breeder if they were standing on a stack of bibles because I have seen what they have done and will continue to do. Yep I have a interest and that is a healthy wild deer herd. I and others have posted just a small amount of published research, you can read it and digest it or you can believe those who do not want you to know the dangers of captive deer farming. Would I like to see captive whitetail deer farming ended, you bet because I do not trust those doing it and I do not trust the dept of ag I have also seen their laxness and the caviler way they do business. Do yourselves a favor and do the research yourself, it isn't difficult to find, don't take the word of those who posted research if that will give you more confidence, just keep in mind, the only thing those so fervently denying the correlation between captive deer herds and CWD haven't provided anything but lip service and expect you to buy into it. Doesn't that strike you as suspicious?
...Deleted by CalHunter.... You keep saying you did this and did that with this research! Please show 1 case where CWD was found in urine!!!!! Not a test from some white coat that took a syringe loaded up deer urine with CWD prions, stuck it in a mouses arse and gave it CWD! Please just show 1 naturally occurring case!!!! You won't because you can't!!!! We can't even find it in brain and node positive deer! It's not being found in any urine anywhere! Period! Please make me eat my words and show the case!!!!

Last edited by CalHunter; 08-28-2015 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Rules 2, 8 & 12--Warning.
BigTime1 is offline  
Old 08-28-2015, 11:33 AM
  #10  
Fork Horn
 
woodenb14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 107
Default

" how do YOU think CWD got here in Illinois?"

I'm of the belief that CWD has always been around, but it's not near the problem it's made out to be. I live on the Illinois side of the IL-WI border and when it was first found just north of me years ago, both state DNRs overreacted by not only allowing, but encouraging the harvesting of way more deer than should have been. The conspiracy theory in me thinks auto-insurers were behind it in order to thin the herd, and reduce claims related to people hitting deer with their vehicles.
woodenb14 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.