Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Neck shots for whitetails?

Old 12-29-2014, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn
Depending on whether your on the ground or close to it. You can do very well placing your arrow at the base of the neck where the great vessels run. My Rage heads leave a blood trail like an interstate. It's the same for a rifle. I guess some think only of the cervical spine when they think neck shot.

Not always the best choice but something to think about.
Different perspective I guess. There is an artery in the ass that will kill them quickly as well but call me boring I like to take shots that will serve me best over a 40 year hunting career and to me that is a simple fixed broad head through the lungs. Anything else seems like reinventing the wheel to me.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
Different perspective I guess. There is an artery in the ass that will kill them quickly as well but call me boring I like to take shots that will serve me best over a 40 year hunting career and to me that is a simple fixed broad head through the lungs. Anything else seems like reinventing the wheel to me.
I'll keep that in mind.

ATB
Old 12-29-2014, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rockport
That would be the femoral artery and anyone that would shoot at that probably would also take very risky shots at the neck too! I like your "simple fixed broadhead through the lungs" philosophy and that's what archery is all about for as close to a 100% sure kill every time.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-29-2014 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-29-2014, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
That would be the femoral artery and anyone that would shoot at that probably would also take very risky shots at the neck too! I like your "simple fixed broadhead through the lungs" philosophy and that's what archery is all about for as close to a 100% sure kill every time.
Yeah its not just about what will kill a deer its also about what a person and their equipment can execute 100 times in a row.

I can hit a lung size target 100 times in a row at 20 yards and my broadhead will work every time.

I don't get to decide what others are capable of but I don't believe many people/mechanical broadheads can be trusted to do that.