Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Hunter

Old 12-29-2014, 09:32 AM
Spike

Default New Hunter

Hello everyone! I have posted on a few things but need some advice. I recently moved and have a nice set of woods and a soy bean field behind the house. I've scouted the area and seen the deer and their feeding times, how they act, etc. and got a blind and corn pile set up. I have seen 3 bucks but need advice as what calls to use and best times to go. By the way I am in southern wake county and borderline harnett county in NC.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

".....I have seen 3 bucks ......." Sam

Set-up there you saw them and at the same time that you saw them there (brush in your blind).

If you know how to use a grunt tube, then only use it to pull them within range.

Good luck - keep us posted............................
Old 12-29-2014, 10:26 AM
Spike

The bucks were in the soybean field and in there is where I also found a 6 point shed which may have been bigger if not chewed up by squirrels. I don't want to move my blind due to many others in the area and it's where I can see it. Most of the time I just sit on the ground and see the deer and don't move.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rifle, shotgun or bow ?

How far away do you see them and how far do you feel comfortable shooting...............that is the question ?
Old 12-29-2014, 11:13 AM
Spike

I'm thinking crossbow and shotgun. The deer in the woods are anywhere from 15-25 yards from my blind and in the field they're about 40 yards so nothing outrageous. Right now though I'm battling shoulder problems so I'm having to experiment with left handed shooting.