Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Neck shots for whitetails?

Old 12-14-2014, 05:22 PM
  #1  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 5
Default Neck shots for whitetails?

Looking for input on this method of shot placement on whitetails. I don't use it myself unless it is the only shot available, however the one time I did it worked like the hammer of Thor on a nice buck, so am considering it.

I know several people that use it exclusively and swear by it.

I have also heard horror stories from people, one fellow I hunted with who shot a buck with a neck shot, had it go down, was on it's back with legs kicking up in the air, only to have it run off before he could walk over to it never to be recovered.

Looking for input from those that use it frequently as well as any who have used it without good effect.
cv540 is offline  
Old 12-14-2014, 05:31 PM
  #2  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Eastern wv
Posts: 2,933
Default

it works well but the kill zone is only 2" wide, if the neck is straight horizontal than the kill zone is 2"x2" to hit the neck bone, I'll take a shoulder/lung shot over it anyday
RR
Ridge Runner is online now  
Old 12-15-2014, 01:21 AM
  #3  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: west central wi USA
Posts: 2,150
Default

The neck is usually moving around more than the chest. A shot in the chest is deadly and a bigger target. The neck shot ruins more meat. Unless it's my only option, I go for the option with a higher percentage of success and less meat damage.
Wingbone is offline  
Old 12-15-2014, 04:21 AM
  #4  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8,670
Default

The neck shot is very effective if done right but it can also lead to wounding if done wrong. The chest is a bigger and better target in my opinion. I've done some neck shots but only when I was absolutely certain I could do it right. Such circumstances don't come around often.
flags is offline  
Old 12-15-2014, 04:22 AM
  #5  
Nontypical Buck
 
alleyyooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: MICHIGAN
Posts: 2,568
Talking

If the neck was the only shot I had at a deer, the deer would walk. Not going to take the chance of wounding a nice deer.

Al
alleyyooper is offline  
Old 12-15-2014, 04:59 AM
  #6  
Super Moderator
 
jrbsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Seagrove N.C. USA
Posts: 7,250
Default

Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
If the neck was the only shot I had at a deer, the deer would walk. Not going to take the chance of wounding a nice deer.

Al
X2 I don't think I would take a neck shot.
jrbsr is offline  
Old 12-15-2014, 07:21 AM
  #7  
Typical Buck
 
buckman11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SW, missouri
Posts: 822
Default

Ive shot em straight on in the neck and they drop in their tracks. Ive also had friends barely nick the edge of their neck and they dropped where they stood. In all the years Ive been hunting Neither me, Nor any of my buddies have lost a neck shot deer. In fact, every one of em dropped where they stood. I'm always gonna take the Lung shot if Ive got it, But I'm never afraid to take a neck shot if its the best one Ive got.
buckman11 is offline  
Old 12-15-2014, 07:51 AM
  #8  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 8,019
Default

Originally Posted by buckman11 View Post
Ive shot em straight on in the neck and they drop in their tracks. Ive also had friends barely nick the edge of their neck and they dropped where they stood. In all the years Ive been hunting Neither me, Nor any of my buddies have lost a neck shot deer. In fact, every one of em dropped where they stood. I'm always gonna take the Lung shot if Ive got it, But I'm never afraid to take a neck shot if its the best one Ive got.
I doubt seriously that those friends that "barely nicked the neck" didn't have to make a killing shot after the deer went down unless they cut the jugular! I learned that a long time ago when that was the only shot I had on a doe and I wacked her with my 06 at about 40 yards and just as I shot she turned her head a little. She dropped like she was hit over the head with a sledge hammer and started what I thought was her "death kick". I got my stuff together in the tree stand and when I looked up she was on her feet and walking wobbily straight away and not offering any kind of a shot. I got down, went back to the cabin because it was almost dark and got a gas lantern to track her. There were only a few little spots of blood on the light snow the first fifty yards and I followed her tracks for 1/2 mile with no sign that she was even hit. That, I can guarantee, was from one of those "barely nicked the neck" shots and the only deer I've ever shot at and lost, but I'm convinced she walked off just shaken up and I've never taken that shot again. At least the OP didn't talk head shots, as that would have really got me started, LOL!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-15-2014 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Spelling
Topgun 3006 is offline  
Old 12-15-2014, 08:30 AM
  #9  
Typical Buck
 
buckman11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SW, missouri
Posts: 822
Default

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006 View Post
I doubt seriously that those friends that "barely nicked the neck" didn't have to make a killing shot after the deer went down unless they cut the jugular! I learned that a long time ago when that was the only shot I had on a doe and I wacked her with my 06 at about 40 yards and just as I shot she turned her head a little. She dropped like she was hit over the head with a sledge hammer and started what I thought was her "death kick". I got my stuff together in the tree stand and when I looked up she was on her feet and walking wobbily straight away and not offering any kind of a shot. I got down, went back to the cabin because it was almost dark and got a gas lantern to track her. There were only a few little spots of blood on the light snow the first fifty yards and I followed her tracks for 1/2 mile with no sign that she was even hit. That, I can guarantee, was from one of those "barely nicked the neck" shots and the only deer I've ever shot at and lost, but I'm convinced she walked off just shaken up and I've never taken that shot again. At least the OP didn't talk head shots, as that would have really got me started, LOL!
Yea I see what your saying. I was with these buddies in their stand when they nicked the neck. I guess it just happened to grab enough of something vital to knock em over. Its not a shot I really want to take, I'd take a shoulder/chest shot over a neck any day. But if the neck is all Ive got, And at a reasonable distance, I will take it.

Dont even get me started on head shots. There are dome fools around here that buy .308's, 25/06 Etc so they have the accuracy just to take head shots. That burns me up something awful!!!
buckman11 is offline  
Old 12-15-2014, 08:56 AM
  #10  
Giant Nontypical
 
Sheridan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location:
Posts: 5,130
Default

As others have said; I will take a neck shot if that is all I have and the deer is 50 yards or less and I have a steady rest.

I too shot one in the neck and he went right down.

As I was gathering my gear, the deer sat up like he was bedded - I shot him a second time in the neck and he bled out right there.

I don't want to repeat that experience again if I can avoid it !!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-15-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Sheridan is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.