Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Neck shots for whitetails?

Old 12-23-2014, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

Only time I use a neck shot is if I am dispatching a buck on a bad shot I made. I also won't aim for high shoulder. One example a shot a 6 point yesterday evening at 202 yards and hit him high in the shoulder. He dropped in his tracks and what I though was DRT wasn't he was still alive crawling to the ditch on his front hooves. I went to shoot a second time but he rolled in the ditch. Of course had to get down run down there and shot him in the back of the neck with my .270. On that deer I hit high shoulder and spine.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Smile

Originally Posted by Brandon_SPC
Only time I use a neck shot is if I am dispatching a buck on a bad shot I made. I also won't aim for high shoulder. One example a shot a 6 point yesterday evening at 202 yards and hit him high in the shoulder. He dropped in his tracks and what I though was DRT wasn't he was still alive crawling to the ditch on his front hooves. I went to shoot a second time but he rolled in the ditch. Of course had to get down run down there and shot him in the back of the neck with my .270. On that deer I hit high shoulder and spine.
Time to get an 06 and that wouldn't happen
Old 12-23-2014, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Let's just say that neck or head shots are not the best shots to take! If someone can't connect on shoulder or boiler room shots, neck shots would be completely out of the question!
Old 12-23-2014, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Time to get an 06 and that wouldn't happen
Had a 30-06 got rid of it because I wanted a flatter shooting rifle.... Did the same thing because I was told a high shoulder shot is the best shot to use on deer so they don't run. Well the one with the 30-06 was on purpose and after that never tried another high shoulder shot. Last night was me making a bad shot. I rushed the shot. Caliber won't make up for a bad shot.

Last edited by Brandon_SPC; 12-23-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

.011" of bullet diameter won't make any difference, why give up the accuracy potential and flatter trajectory of the 270 for an '06
the 270's .046" longer neck better stabilizes the heavier big game bullets and starts them into the lands straighter, its why I don't own an '06
RR
Old 12-23-2014, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
.011" of bullet diameter won't make any difference, why give up the accuracy potential and flatter trajectory of the 270 for an '06
the 270's .046" longer neck better stabilizes the heavier big game bullets and starts them into the lands straighter, its why I don't own an '06
RR
Oh well, I guess the fact the 06 is considered the best all around ever made for any big game on the North American continent doesn't count with you, but it does to many millions of others that know how good and versatile it is!
Old 12-23-2014, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jack of all Trades, master of none....

One reason the '06 was so popular in the last century is because so many carried them in WW-II, there is nothing magical about it...
Old 12-23-2014, 04:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
Jack of all Trades, master of none....

One reason the '06 was so popular in the last century is because so many carried them in WW-II, there is nothing magical about it...
I'll second that! Never have and never will need a Jack of all Trades cartridge!
Old 12-23-2014, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Knew a hunter...

who successfully made the neck shot. Of course, he studied deer anatomy and knew the best places to make the shot; was an excellent shot who hit what he aimed at; performed animal autopsies before he did the butchering.
The animal autopsy determined without guessing, why the deer instantly collapsed. No guesswork for him. How do you know where you hit, if you take the whole deer, less guts, to the processor.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Oh well, I guess the fact the 06 is considered the best all around ever made for any big game on the North American continent doesn't count with you, but it does to many millions of others that know how good and versatile it is!
whats that tell ya? Is it ever gonna dawn on you that everyone knows that 99.9% of your posts are for the soul purpose of increasing your post count whether you know what your talking about or not?
RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 12-23-2014 at 05:10 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.