Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
.357 mag handgun isn't enough? >

.357 mag handgun isn't enough?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

.357 mag handgun isn't enough?

Old 12-10-2014, 07:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default .357 mag handgun isn't enough?

Assuming use of proper ammo, what are your thoughts as to .357 mag being enough for an ethical kill on an illinois whitetail?

Also what would you consider the proper ammo as far as bullet type and weight?

After this season I would really appreciate any input. I appreciate any offers of opinion but would really like stuff based on real hunting experiences.

Thanks.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

If kept under 50 yards with the heaviest bullet it will shoot accurately and drive deep into the vitals it would be adequate, but if you don't have one already and are looking to buy a handgun I'd get a 44 mag (Ruger is a good one) for what you're talking about.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-10-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Any bonded bullet ............ +/- 100 yards (if you do your part) IMO
Old 12-10-2014, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive killed quite a few IL whitetail with a .357

Its been years though and I don't recall what ammo I used but I never had a problem.

Now days if I use a handgun which I don't very often I use a .45 colt and I chose that because of the wide options. The wife/family can shoot it with cowboy loads and get used to the bigger heavier framed gun but then you can buy some buffalo bore loads and really amp up the power for hunting.

Ruger blackhawk .45 colt is what I use but like I said not very often. We use it more for target shooting than anything.

I don't think I have shot a deer with a handgun since they did away with the handgun season so ive only shot doe and no big 250lb bucks

Last edited by rockport; 12-10-2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Missouri allows the use of centerfire pistols and revolvers during the Alternative Methods Portion of deer season--that is the normal muzzleloading season. I have thought of carrying a .357 along with my muzzleloader in case I needed a "finisher". That would allow a faster second shot then swabbing and reloading the smoke pole. I would use a 158 grain soft point if I do this, whatever brand that I have. I have a 4 inch Security Six, not really a hunting handgun so I am limited to a very close shot. As above, a .44 mag. would be more suitable, but I do not handle the recoil very well with them.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:24 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by uncle matt
Assuming use of proper ammo, what are your thoughts as to .357 mag being enough for an ethical kill on an illinois whitetail?

Also what would you consider the proper ammo as far as bullet type and weight?

After this season I would really appreciate any input. I appreciate any offers of opinion but would really like stuff based on real hunting experiences.

Thanks.
These loads will bore a hole thru ANY whitetail (broadside or slightly quartering). https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=100
Old 12-11-2014, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

357. Magnum is just like any other caliber, it's Shot Placement.
You have to do your time shooting, and know your gun and ammo.
1 Well placed shot is better than 100 random shoots.
And a 357 Magnum is good way out to 100 yards.
Hornady LEVERevolution ammunition would be my choice.

http://www.hornady.com/store/38-Cal-.357-bullets

JMHO
Old 12-11-2014, 07:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

I carried a .357 mag S&W 686 every day for over 30 years and I can shoot a handgun well. However, while a .357 certainly will go through a deers vitals it is not what I would carry if carrying a handgun specifically for deer, yes they will kill a deer, however, the dying doesn't happen quick enough for me unless it is a head shot. I have probably killed at least 100 deer with the caliber, that were crippled or injured so before someone asks, yes I have used the gun on deer. If anyone uses buffalo bore ammo they better have a gun that can take that kind of abuse. If I were going to buy a revolver to carry for deer it would be a .44 mag or a .45 colt with appropriate ammo. I use Lever evo in my ..45 colt for deer. That is my opinion and I am stiking with it.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

I agree a .44 Magnum is better, a .357 Magnum will do the job.
If I was going to buy a handgun to hunt deer, it would be a .44 Magnum.
Just remember do your time shooting, to get good, whatever caliber you use.
A Well placed shot is better than 100 random shoots.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I carried a .357 mag S&W 686 every day for over 30 years and I can shoot a handgun well. However, while a .357 certainly will go through a deers vitals it is not what I would carry if carrying a handgun specifically for deer, yes they will kill a deer, however, the dying doesn't happen quick enough for me unless it is a head shot. I have probably killed at least 100 deer with the caliber, that were crippled or injured so before someone asks, yes I have used the gun on deer. If anyone uses buffalo bore ammo they better have a gun that can take that kind of abuse. If I were going to buy a revolver to carry for deer it would be a .44 mag or a .45 colt with appropriate ammo. I use Lever evo in my ..45 colt for deer. That is my opinion and I am stiking with it.
I believe 45 colt Lever evo falls just short of the required energy for a hand gun in IL.

I think the requirement is 500 ft lbs at the muzzle and lever evo gives you 460.

The buffalo bore gets you there but like you mentioned you need the right gun for that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.