Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Novice hunter seeking advice and a little direction >

Novice hunter seeking advice and a little direction

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Novice hunter seeking advice and a little direction

Old 11-29-2014, 11:39 PM
Spike

Default Novice hunter seeking advice and a little direction

Hey everyone, I'm brand new both to hunting and to the forums, I suppose this is the best place to make a brief intro and ask a few questions. If there's a more appropriate forum, I apologize, I'll move it there.

I'm 27, I've shot guns and bows for most of my life but I've never hunted anything before other than rabbits on two or three occasions. I'm patient and stealthy, but otherwise am fully aware that there's a great deal I need to learn about how to hunt and I'm not really sure how to start learning those things. I'm moving to Portland OR next month, and will likely remain there for life. Whitetail deer seems like a pretty common starting point for novice hunters, so I suppose I'll put my most obvious questions out there. Thanks in advance for any tips.

I have a 30-06 rifle and a 60 pound hybrid compound bow, both of which I'm comfortable with. My preliminary hunting research has shown me the pros and cons of rifle vs. bow hunting, and I would like to become competent with both, but I'm not sure where I should start. I've heard that bow hunters typically get to go first during the start of the season, which is an advantage that appeals to me, and overall I'm more skilled with a bow than with rifles, although I'm aware there are additional challenges involved with bow hunting. What should I know about my first hunt in the Pacific Northwest? Suggestions on whether I should focus on rifles or bows to start with? I know nothing about the logistics around applying for permits and all that, so I suppose a general 101 guide on where to start and how to learn all the skills I will need is what I'm asking for.

Thanks again for reading and I appreciate any advice, I look forward to getting to know the community here.

Last edited by Stir Fry Guy; 11-29-2014 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do a search here,there was a thread about what youre asking not long ago.There was good info posted up.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

A good place to start is a Hunter Safety Course.
You can learn a lot starting there.
Good Luck.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:42 PM
Spike

Taking a Hunter Safety Course once you get out there is a great way to learn and meet other hunters in your new area. Also, try and find a hunting club in reasonable distance to you and try and get a mentor. I just started whitetail bow hunting this year and my GF's dad has been my mentor...he has been hunting deer for over 30 years and let's me hunt his land and has given me the most valuable knowledge I could ever expect to get from the internet. I have spent countless hours reading online/forums/youtube/etc. but have gotten the most out of being around someone who has hunted most of his life and is willing to teach me his knowledge. The best knowledge you can get is getting one-on-one time from someone who has spent years doing it. So try and find someone in the area you will be living/hunting in and pick their brains and listen to all the advice they can give you and then get out there as much as possible and learn from your mistakes and also don't forget to enjoy the whole experience...there is nothing more stress relieving than sitting in the woods enjoying all that mother nature has to offer.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:52 AM
Spike

Hey Stir Fry, I'm also starting out and trying to find what works the best and doing it with a budget in mind. My families goal is to hunt for meat, not necessarily for trophy bucks, however, it would be nice to land one or two just to add to the story. I haven't been able to find much "beginner" advice on the internet to give you the basics of what needs to be looked at versus where you need to end up, so I started keeping track of what I am doing to hope and provide someone else some insight on getting started. I have a blog up and a few post going right now, but like I said it is just starting out, so give it some time. Maybe between a few beginners we can make it a little easier and also shorten the learning curve.
You have to mix the conversation with old timers that have done it their way for 30 years and add in new techniques and technology to be more efficient with the time in the woods. Good thing is, you can always get advice, but you just have to figure out what is realistic for you.

Check out my Blog to see if you can get any new information out of it:
Preparation Notes:
http://wp.me/pKeJt-37

Thoughts after first weekend of hunting:
http://wp.me/pKeJt-3d

Here is my cover scent:
http://wp.me/pKeJt-3o
Old 12-02-2014, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

Find a place to hunt.
Look for deer tracks.
Look for rubs on trees about 2 feet from the ground where bucks have been scraping their horns.
Look for heavy game trails.
Look for their food source , green vegetation, briars and nut producing trees.

Water source.

Walk to your hunting spot with the wind to your face
Hunt with the wind to your face.

A ground blind will hold your scent in.

It will be hard at first to figure out the rut, deer have to EAT so concentrate on that.

Where ever the does are, the bucks won't be too far behind.

On government land deer aren't used to hunting pressure during the off season
( human scent ).
Deer season ! The woods start stinking !

Private land or farm land, deer are some what used to people all year .

Ballistic tip bullets for deer ( not varmint )
are for broad side shots BEHIND the shoulder in the ribs.

Cor lokts soft points. bonded bullets. or
all copper bullets are for pretty much any angle.

If you have seen deer where your hunting, they'll be back !

Last edited by White Oak 06; 12-02-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by White Oak 06

Look for rubs on trees about 3 to 4 feet from the ground where bucks have been scraping their horns.

Good lord where are you hunting those are some BIG deer...lol
Old 12-02-2014, 03:34 PM
Spike

Finding hunting land etc is a whole other thread. Here is Oregon's website for dept. of fish and game: http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/index.asp
Their you can find info on taking a hunting safety course(required to hunt) and able to purchase hunting permits, etc and gain more info on hunting in your area. If you can make friends with a local hunter that will be a big help with figuring things out, learning the ropes, local hunting, etc. You can also call your dept. of fish and game and they will help walk you through the process and guide you in the right direction for public land hunting. Preference between bow and rifle is a personal choice and you can do both. Bow season tends to be longer as it is more challenging. Both your current rifle and bow are great for deer hunting.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ojibwa
Good lord where are you hunting those are some BIG deer...lol
Yeah ! My bad ! What was thinking ! Lol !
Old 12-02-2014, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

when I was a kid I read every hunting book I could get my hands from authors like Jack O'connor , George Laycock etc etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.