HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Novice hunter seeking advice and a little direction
Old 11-29-2014, 11:39 PM
Stir Fry Guy
Spike

Default Novice hunter seeking advice and a little direction

Hey everyone, I'm brand new both to hunting and to the forums, I suppose this is the best place to make a brief intro and ask a few questions. If there's a more appropriate forum, I apologize, I'll move it there.

I'm 27, I've shot guns and bows for most of my life but I've never hunted anything before other than rabbits on two or three occasions. I'm patient and stealthy, but otherwise am fully aware that there's a great deal I need to learn about how to hunt and I'm not really sure how to start learning those things. I'm moving to Portland OR next month, and will likely remain there for life. Whitetail deer seems like a pretty common starting point for novice hunters, so I suppose I'll put my most obvious questions out there. Thanks in advance for any tips.

I have a 30-06 rifle and a 60 pound hybrid compound bow, both of which I'm comfortable with. My preliminary hunting research has shown me the pros and cons of rifle vs. bow hunting, and I would like to become competent with both, but I'm not sure where I should start. I've heard that bow hunters typically get to go first during the start of the season, which is an advantage that appeals to me, and overall I'm more skilled with a bow than with rifles, although I'm aware there are additional challenges involved with bow hunting. What should I know about my first hunt in the Pacific Northwest? Suggestions on whether I should focus on rifles or bows to start with? I know nothing about the logistics around applying for permits and all that, so I suppose a general 101 guide on where to start and how to learn all the skills I will need is what I'm asking for.

Thanks again for reading and I appreciate any advice, I look forward to getting to know the community here.

Last edited by Stir Fry Guy; 11-29-2014 at 11:42 PM.