Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

i found a hot spot

Old 10-07-2003, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default i found a hot spot

Out hunting Sunday night it was 6:30 had about 15 mintues of legal shooting time left. The woods I hunt is right next to a alalfa field. I thought I better take it slow walking out of the woods in case there were any deer out in the field. well I didnt see any right away. As I was walking up the field to the house. I thought I better turn around and see if there were any deer since now I had a better look at the field. What did my eyes see deer out in the field about 400 yards from me. I had a bow and no way of getting to them. So I just sat down and watched. I saw a total of 4 doe. well I have been working every night havent had the chance to get to hunt. ever night I get off work which is about 6:30 i see those same deer out eating.
how should i go about hunting them. the wind is never in my favor. the woods way to far away. there is a bean field right next to the alalfa field i thought maybe could try and hide in the bean field. since the wind is blowing right on the alalfa field i dont know if that will work. how many more nights do you think they will eat out there.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:59 PM

Default RE: i found a hot spot

As long as the food source is there and there is little pressure the deer will be there to eat.

Get out there on your day off and plan for it. I would do a all day hunt in order to be out there and make the most of your time hunting.

This will also allow you to conseal your self with out having to come in and out during the day, inturn spooking or pressuring the deer.

Good Luck!
Old 10-08-2003, 07:55 AM

Hi,
The deer leave the trees, even though they are far away, to get to the food source. Find the nearest thick cover and see if it' s a bedding area, if not keep looking and find a bedding area or the run that the deer use to get to the feeding area. Set up there and just make sure the wind is in your favor in regards to where the deer will be coming from, not the field. You should be able to ambush them heading out to feed.
Good Luck!
Mark
http://www.buckhuntersecrets.com
Old 10-08-2003, 10:21 AM

You have to find out how they are getting into the field. On the next day off, scout the area and find out which routes they are taking. They should be apparent if several deer are using the same trail every night. Remember wind direction does not mean that you have to not hunt an area. It means you have to hunt an area smart.

If the wind blows from left to right on most evenings, set up on the down wind side of the trail. I like to have the deer come from behind me. That is, I set up to have the deer pass on my left side (I' m right handed) coming from behind me so that the tree hides me. I would set up at my maximum effective range on the downwind side and make adjustments from there. In the event that there are several trails, set up on the one furthest down wind with the prevailing wind and work your way up. Kinda like in season scouting. It might take a couple of times to fine tune the position of your stand but if you are alert, you can easily go undetected. Getting out of the woods might be a problem if the deer are in the field. I sometimes call my father on the radio to spook any deer that I don' t want to know where I am. That way they don' t associate the danger with the stand site.

Hope this helps.

Greg
Old 10-08-2003, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree.
They' re coming out from heavy cover somewhere.
Find it, and go for a long sit. Since you' re on the ground, you can be mobile and flexible.

You may even want to pass on the first deer you see, just to learn more about their movements without scaring them off. Good luck.