Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 NIMH versus Alkaline for Motorola radios >

NIMH versus Alkaline for Motorola radios

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

NIMH versus Alkaline for Motorola radios

Old 10-08-2003, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default NIMH versus Alkaline for Motorola radios

I have spoken with a Motorola person who told me NIMH was good for digital cameras and other high electricity usage products, but that alkaline is best for radios, since they' ll last longer than NIMH. The problem is, it is getting harder and harder to buy rechargeable alkaline batteries, since all the NIMH stuff is taking up the room on the shelves and alkaline rechargeables are being discontinued. I prefer rechargeables, since I could always recharge them when I get home from hunting and be assured I have strong batteries while in the woods with my buddies.

Are NIMH really that bad for Motorolas? If alkalines are better for certain things, radios included, why are alkaline rechargeables becoming extinct?
Old 10-08-2003, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: NIMH versus Alkaline for Motorola radios

Alkaline rechargeables take longer to charge and have a shorter life(not operation but life in general), which makes them less desirable. NIMH have a shorter battery operation due to the reduced charging frequency, they are meant for on and off operation not on always, that is probably why Motorola said they aren' t desirable for FRS' s. It boils down to technology and demand, most who use disposables use the alkaline batteries which can be found in large amounts quite reasonably. If rechargables are desired than most want a battery that exhibits no memory and quick recharge time...both characteristics that Alkaline don' t have! Personally I use the alkaline diposable both for my FRS and GPS, they are cheap and easy to carry spares. That being said I have NIMH for my digital camera and they seem to have a decent life, mine are duracell and I found them to last better than energizer. I really don' t see much of a problem with using NIMH for an FRS, you could always carry a spare of regular batteries just in case.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

skeeter,

Good reply. I do keep the radio turned on for hours at a time while on stand. That is why Alkaline are probably my best bet. I don' t mind the idea of using disposables, I guess, except that I would rather concentrate on spotting Mr. Big than changing out batteries while on stand. If I got disposables, I would want to run them down to get my money' s worth (hence the risk of having them run down while on stand). With my rechargeable alkalines, it doesn' t matter because they can be recharged, so I don' t have to run them all the way down. In fact, I understand that you can' t run them all the way down or the battery won' t want to take a charge after that.

What I usually do when I hunt at my place in WV with no electricity is use a fresh set for a day or two, then change out another fresh set, and put the used ones in a baggie for recharging when I get back to electricity.

Having said all that, I bought a dozen disposables, and believe I have a site from someone who sells alkaline rechargeables. Is it the NIMH or alkaline where Duracell outlasts Energizer?

Thanks!

Old 10-08-2003, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have used HIMH in my radio and my gps. If you don' t mind charging them a little more often, it isn' t a bad deal. If I remember reight, I got my morning and evening hunts in with no problem on one set of batteries in the radio. Then I just charged them overnight to go with me the next morning.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Doug, NIMH I have found duracell better than energizer. If you have used them in the past and found them good, stick with what you know best, you can always carry regular spares as back up for either rechargable product..cheap insurance really.

Yes your correct alkaline batteries are best to have some life prior to recharging.

Good luck finding and getting Mr. Big!
Old 10-08-2003, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

skeeter,

I have never used NIMH. I would just rather keep my alkaline recharger and be able to get batteries to use in it since I prefer rechargeables.

Mr. Big in my neck of the woods is an 18" 8 pointer LOL!